Author Topic: willow sapling shafts?  (Read 10133 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: willow sapling shafts?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »
Iowabo I bet that's dogwood like the fellas have said.That stuff has sunk into many a deer!!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online iowabow

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 10:02:46 pm »
Cool I cut a set for this year
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:25:02 pm »
Gun Doc can you get 50 to 60 spine out of those honeysuckle?I've got some growing down near a wash.I used to make sling shots out of them when I was a kid.OOOpps guess I better check my words better I'm still a kid at heart.LOL.

The ones I make are approximately23/64" at the point end with a straight taper to 5/16" selfnocks, 27" long.  With just fletches and nock wrap, no point, they weigh about 350 to 375 gr and spine about 40 to 45 lbs.  I don't have a spine tester, so this is best guess while comparing bend resistance with known spine shaft.  I think dogwood is much better suited for 50# and up bows.  I only use the honey suckle for 45# and under bows.  Hope that helps.  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 08:51:45 pm »
Sure does Josh.Thanks.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 09:01:03 pm »
John...Cut a bunch of that dogwood.Bundle it up I'll trade ya something for some.Just cut em long enough.Maybe at least 3 feet or so.I've been footing some douglas fir lately with hedge,purpleheart,and cocobolo.[Reminant gifts from my fiberglass bow makng friends].Like to try some natural dogwood shafts though.I've seen and heard it can be hard to keep straight.I've got a V cutting gouge for leather as a solution tool.Heating the length wise gouge till it's dark brown to keep it straight.
BowEd
Ed

Online iowabow

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:37 pm »
Beadman will do on the shafts. I have a bunch of them around the front of the yard. They will be here whenever we gather again.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!