Author Topic: anyone seen these in their kills and know what they are?  (Read 5890 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: anyone seen these in their kills and know what they are?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:38 pm »
Always called them grubs here growing up. Only hunt rabbits and squirells in months that have an "r" in them and usually won't find them buggers.
That is what my dad taught me. There is a reason why rabbit season is only in the cold months.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »
Around here they are called worbles. Oldtimers say they don,t hurt the meat, but i was never hungry enough to try.
Steve Bennett

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 09:24:34 pm »
Yea my son didn't know there is a season for rabbit he just saw it in the garden eating my lettuce so he shot it with his pellet gun. Afterward I had to tell him it wasn't the right time of year to kill rabbits and there was a season for them in January.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 10:19:37 pm »
What you son shot wasn't a rabbit.  It was recycled lettuce. ;) 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »
Called them woovs in South Carolina.Didn't shoot rabbits or squirrels till after the 1st hard frost. Gross man !.....'  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 12:28:10 am »
In West Virginia I found them in squirrels. Called them "Warbles" but have heard them called "Wolves".

Never seen one on a rabbit, but have seen a ton of fleas that would jump off as the body started cooling.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 01:07:16 am »
Those things make you loose your appetite in a hurry. When I was a kid killed a rabbit and it had one on each side below the skin about where the kidneys are located. Didn't eat that bunny and never hunted rabbits unless the month had an "r" in it.

Most dishwashers get up to about 170-180 degrees. That's enough heat to kill most vegetative (live)cells. The human body has more bacteria cells in the stomach than human cells.

You could fry those gusanos and eat them, but no thank you.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:50 am »
Yea that's what I was thinking and tossed the carcass and kept the pelt. Course another reason for hunting rabbits in the colder months is they have thicker pelts so this one is rather thin but workable.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 01:41:31 pm »
I have three words for you...dollar menu McD....ohhhh wait that is just as discussing.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
That's why I don't hunt squirrels in the spring season or the early fall,around here they are full of them,we call the wolves also.They say they won't hurt you,just trim around ,but like others ,I ant that hungry just yet.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lemos

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 11:49:06 pm »
They look like bluegill bait to me, I'm thinking a combo hunting and fishing trip

kurogane_84

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 01:47:25 pm »
The two kills ive made with my dads 30-30 rifle the animals a bull Moose and a Stag Caribou or reindeer as some calls them,  they were almost blaze orange when i was panching them, i left them and told wildlife about it they called me a month after each report and indeed the animals had tumor growths and cancer thru out their bodies, some glad i didnt eat none, they smelt like  a rabbit that was left out in the heat for a month, and ive never seen bot flies, some glad too id be a herbivore some fast if i found one in my kill lol