Author Topic: An introduction, and I think my Dad's been holding out on me.  (Read 4199 times)

Offline eskimo

Well, I've been lurking here for ages, reading, learning, and blowing out three bows (I think) and learning more. I was going to post after my first successful bow, but that has yet to materialize. And I've never posted because most of the questions I've had are pretty easily searchable, with many great answers from long time members to other fledgling bowyers.
I'm based out of Juneau, AK, where the only local woods we can really get are conifers, which from my understanding so far make poor bows (been wanting to try with sitka spruce, but haven't yet). So the medium I've been using is oak, and sometimes pretty poor oak at that. Think I've finally got a decent piece underway, chased a ring all the way through and had a good time doing it, but haven't gotten further than that. I'll make sure to post pictures once I progress.

And now comes the reason why I've finally decided to post. I think my Dad has been holding out on me. He has a 10' long, 8"x4" ish piece of what he called "orange wood." It took a while, but I finally figured out that he must mean none other than osage orange! The straightness of the grains on this are amazing (compared to most of the wood I've been working with) and I'm thinking that I want to buy the wood off him. Here are some pics

End rings

Close up of the wood grains, is this osage?

And a long shot of the piece

So, there you have it, has he really been holding out? If he has, I think I see the potential for many bows out of this piece of wood, but if I do end up buying it, where do I even begin in cutting this out into workable staves?

So, that's me, good to meet ya, and, I hope to be posting around here more often.

Thomas

blackhawk

Re: An introduction, and I think my Dad's been holding out on me.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:22 am »
Welcome to pa...

Nope,not osage...sorry to burst your lil happy bubble you had going....and i cant say for certain what it is....

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:07:38 am »
Nope.  Not Osage.  Can't make out what it is.  Should get a bow out of it though.  You can go Bias Ring.  At 4" thick, I would go flat ring as though it were a stave.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:35 am »
I'm 90% sure that's White Ash (Fraxinus americana). And a good board at that! Really nice grain. Should make some excellent bows. It's good in tension, but not great in compression. Try to leave the belly flat of all the bows you are going to make from this board.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:51:27 am »
My guess wold be Ash also,not Osage but still should make some mighty fine bows.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:29:07 am »
  Perfect stave in that board, right down the center is a ring you could chase. I would chase that ring instead of building bias ring. Chase the entire top of that board and you will have enough for 3 real nice staves. That little bare spot right in the center of the board would be a perfect place to start. Take the exact measurements of the board as it sits right now and then weigh it, we could figure out the specific gravity, this would give us all a better idea of what kind of bow you may want to make out of it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:47:39 am »
Looks good enough to chase a ring. Can I see the edge grain that will show if you can chase a ring? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:07 am »
  Eskimo, if you have never chased a ring before just start on the outside edge of the board and chase down one of those lines at a time, you have about 6 on the lft and about 9 on the right. You will wind up just to the left of center. If you do it just right you have 6 staves in the board.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:52 pm »
nice find in your dads shop, hope you get a lot of shooters out of it.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline eskimo

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:50 pm »
Here are two edge grain shots, I thought I had taken some pictures of them to begin with. I realized there was a stamp on the side, which seems to indicate that this board (At 7" x 3" I wonder if it could be called that anymore, Lumber?) is from Cortland, with a number that seems to be some sort of identifier, order number or something. Shot off an e-mail to 'em, see if they can help.

Here's the best end grain shot I could get

And here's the oak board I started chasing on, 88" long

And finally, a size comparison

George, I have been to your website several times, and thought I remembered most of it, but looking at it again has told me where I need to go next for the oak board.
My pops has some use for the the big board right now, but once he's gotten what he needs out of it, I'm pretty sure I've got it after.

Thanks for your responses, it's good to feel welcome.

Thomas

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:50 am »
My guess is red oak . If you can get a clean slice off of the end (just enough to get the paint off. ) you will know right away. Oak has Medulary rays that shoot out from the center of the tree  perpendicular to the growth rings. They show as speckles between the grain on the face and sort of blotchy patches on the edge grain.Google" quarter sawn oak" for pics. Ash doesn't have them.One way or another ,it looks like you have quite a few staves in that board.good luck!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:38:22 am »
That big board is definetely NOT red oak.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline eskimo

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:41 pm »
Finally ripped some of it out, chopped off one end, and said,
"Well I'll be damned"

Looks like some sort of oak now.

Offline SA

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 08:19:15 pm »
if it's an oak i would say white oak(good wood) those pores look to small to be red oak, sometimes it hard to tell with boards.
Shawn Acker