Author Topic: Question about cutting and curing staves.  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Question about cutting and curing staves.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 07:49:16 pm »
or you might consider knocking out a board bow or two while you are waiting. That way you'll have something to work on right away and you'll get some practice so you can make your staves work that much better for you.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »
The guys are right. You just have to enjoy the harvesting part of it for what it is. Get a bunch of staves curing and then start working on one (even if it ends up taking a set). You'll be happy in a few months - you'll have some practice under your belt when you pick through your pile of cured sticks. Just make sure the sticks are completely sealed if you do stuff them in an attic. I lost about fifty that way - I painted the ends but didn't do anything else. As soon as a small crack breaks the paint layer, the stick is finished. Good luck

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 03:20:20 am »
To my great amazement, there were NO staves that i could see on the 7-10 acres that i looked through! I am sure there was something.....but a HUGE majority was maple and pine. i will still go cut a stave or 2 of my black locust, and maple.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ratshooter

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:13 pm »
I have been having alot of the same problem, lots o' trees, but not staves in em. Good luck man!

Offline The Fly

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:08:58 am »
You need to finally buy the first volume of the Traditional Bowyers Bible and read the first chapter.
DarkSoul why do you keep referring Ionicmuffin to TBB? Why here on PA cant we answer his questions for him? That's what this forum is for!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »
2-3 inch saplings from most hardwoods, except poplar, will make a bow. If interested, I can go into details. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:01 pm »
actually that would be great Jawge!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)