Author Topic: Black Mountain, NC - hollah!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline johnstl

Black Mountain, NC - hollah!
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:15:57 pm »
I'm visiting my parent's new home in Black Mountain in August. they have about 1 acre of wooded mountain and are interested in letting me clear saplings while I'm there - Does anyone know this region?

I would love to harvest a couple of staves while I'm there - Anyone with good knowledge of this area please help me find out what to be on the lookout for - I have a real good website that has great pictures of bark and leaves.

I will be in the Shenandoah region for about two weeks.

Any advice appreciated!

John Long

Offline Dictionary

Re: Black Mountain, NC - hollah!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:18:33 am »
heard its real pretty out there...... Cut some hickory and elm. Cant go wrong with it. Enjoy yourself and stay cool  :laugh:
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30:40 am »
Do you mean Swannonoa? That is next to Black Mountain. I live in Brevard about 1 1/2hours away. You should be able to find red and white oak, hickories, black locust, possibly hop hornbeam, elm and lots of other trees. Sourwood shoots, hill cane and river cane for arrows. Find a local feed and seed and buy a few locust fence posts. They used to be $5 to $8 each around here.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »
Pat makes it sound like the WalMart for Primitive Archers!  While you are there you might want to trade up to a 3/4 ton pickup to haul all the staves and arrow shafting material back home!

Lucky dog!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:48:13 pm »
While you are there check out White Horse Black Mountain bar/music hall. Usually have
good music with bands from all genres.

Lane

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 04:24:50 pm »
Right on the other side of the mountains from where Im from. Hedgeapple grows spotty on our side from people moving them in from out west to use in hedge rows. Be on the lookout.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.