Author Topic: Laminated Long bows  (Read 13544 times)

kurogane_84

Laminated Long bows
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:29 pm »
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how they made this bow,  i own one and i would like to make a weaker bow, the one i own is a 60LBS at 28#, and i would like a 45LBS bow, im thinking of how to make it, do you shape the individual parts then glue them together in a form like a laminated bow?? or is there other ways to get the shape that they have?

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Laminated Long bows
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:08 am »
That looks like one of the Tomahawk bows from 3Rivers.  If so (or if it is one like it), it is glued up on a full length form.  The design of the form is what makes the bow come out that shape.  The laminations are glued up while under pressure and in an oven.  The thickness of the laminations, the length of the limbs and the design of the mold are what determine the draw weight of the bow.  You'll need to buy and/or build the mold, the oven, buy the epoxy, the sets of laminations and riser blocks.  It will likely take several experiments until you get the bugs worked out and your draw weight nailed.  I enjoyed building bows like this, never built one this nice, but it isn't nearly as much fun as building primitive bows. I have pictures of the whole process if you'd like to see it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:29 am »
Contact Bingham Products. I believe they are sponsors here on PA. They have everything you'll need, from blueprints for the bow and the form, how to build a hot box and detailed instructions on how it all comes together. They offer a video showing the whole process. It is a worthwhile investment. I would look at the video first so you know what you are gettint to.
  Like George said, selfbows are way more fun!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kurogane_84

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:05:41 am »
That looks like one of the Tomahawk bows from 3Rivers.  If so (or if it is one like it), it is glued up on a full length form.  The design of the form is what makes the bow come out that shape.  The laminations are glued up while under pressure and in an oven.  The thickness of the laminations, the length of the limbs and the design of the mold are what determine the draw weight of the bow.  You'll need to buy and/or build the mold, the oven, buy the epoxy, the sets of laminations and riser blocks.  It will likely take several experiments until you get the bugs worked out and your draw weight nailed.  I enjoyed building bows like this, never built one this nice, but it isn't nearly as much fun as building primitive bows. I have pictures of the whole process if you'd like to see it.

George

Contact Bingham Products. I believe they are sponsors here on PA. They have everything you'll need, from blueprints for the bow and the form, how to build a hot box and detailed instructions on how it all comes together. They offer a video showing the whole process. It is a worthwhile investment. I would look at the video first so you know what you are gettint to.
  Like George said, selfbows are way more fun!  8)

Yes George it is a Tomahawk bow, its the Diamond Desert Fox long bow, i own one, and would like to try to make one simular, i love the looks of the handle, and the look of the chocobolo, it is pretty, i was looking at it and was thinking one may be fun to make :P

Pat, im planning a self bow, a pyramid R/D bow a replica of a bow i was shown just once LOL, and i may even try to sell some bows in Canada, in in the Eastern most part of the main land and i cannot find ANY places that sell Trad archery things

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:16:59 am »
Kurogane, I'm gonna move this thread to the "Around the Campfire" thread because of the fiber glass bow. That and the "Trading Post" are the only place FG bows are allowed on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kurogane_84

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:44 am »
Ok thanks Pat, i didnt know where to put it so i put it in the bow category, now i knows :P

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:03:21 am »
Kurogane,

I have to stress, it is not as easy as it looks, or everybody would build their own laminated bows.  I used Bingham supplies, and one of their plans for the first 3 bows.  My first bow broke at full draw because of inexperience feathering the riser block.  I then built 2 successful bows that had pretty mediocre performance.  I did kill a young buck with the second bow.  I built several more, building a couple molds.  Then I worked with a friend and we built 2 more molds for take-down longbows.  Again, we got mediocre performance.  Finally we went with a pretty straight limbed recurve and got an average performing bow we could predict the weight on.  I made a few of those, using the same mold to build both take-down and one-piece recurves.  I even made a black widow knock-off.  About then I saw an add for a John Strunk self bow class, which I attended.  There I made mullberry and vine maple self bows.  I haven't built a laminated glass bow since, though I enjoy shooting them.  I still have a couple of the straight limbed longbows I built, including that second bow that took the buck.  All the others are gone, given away, and I shoot Bear bows and a Samick if want to shoot glass.  My bows just weren't that good in performance.

I say all that to say this.  Coming up with a design, even if you copy an existing bow, is time consuming and expensive.  Using a Bingham plan is a much better choice, but it won't look like the Tomahawk.  I think they do have a reflex/deflex longbow plan though.  Cutting and shaping fiberglass is hard on tools and can cause some health issues if you don't use a good dust mask.   Unless it's going to be your hobby it may actually be cheaper in the long run to buy what you want. 

If you make your own bow, take lots of pictures.  I'd sure like to see how it turns out.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

kurogane_84

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:15:54 am »
Kurogane,

I have to stress, it is not as easy as it looks, or everybody would build their own laminated bows.  I used Bingham supplies, and one of their plans for the first 3 bows.  My first bow broke at full draw because of inexperience feathering the riser block.  I then built 2 successful bows that had pretty mediocre performance.  I did kill a young buck with the second bow.  I built several more, building a couple molds.  Then I worked with a friend and we built 2 more molds for take-down longbows.  Again, we got mediocre performance.  Finally we went with a pretty straight limbed recurve and got an average performing bow we could predict the weight on.  I made a few of those, using the same mold to build both take-down and one-piece recurves.  I even made a black widow knock-off.  About then I saw an add for a John Strunk self bow class, which I attended.  There I made mullberry and vine maple self bows.  I haven't built a laminated glass bow since, though I enjoy shooting them.  I still have a couple of the straight limbed longbows I built, including that second bow that took the buck.  All the others are gone, given away, and I shoot Bear bows and a Samick if want to shoot glass.  My bows just weren't that good in performance.

I say all that to say this.  Coming up with a design, even if you copy an existing bow, is time consuming and expensive.  Using a Bingham plan is a much better choice, but it won't look like the Tomahawk.  I think they do have a reflex/deflex longbow plan though.  Cutting and shaping fiberglass is hard on tools and can cause some health issues if you don't use a good dust mask.   Unless it's going to be your hobby it may actually be cheaper in the long run to buy what you want. 

If you make your own bow, take lots of pictures.  I'd sure like to see how it turns out.  Good luck.

George

Thanks George, so there is a method the the madness lol, im interested in making a few of these bows in the long run, but mostly id say  self bows will be my main product, im interested in making one similar to the Tomahawk just because i like the looks of the combination of the wood and carbon glass, id like to try to get one made just to say i did it :P

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:31:53 am »
Back in the early 70s I was teaching school in Reedsport, Oregon.  I found a mold in the wood shop store room complete with a fire hose air inflatable used to apply pressure for the glue up.  It was a short recurve mold made by Bingham Archery in Idaho.  My students and I made several of these recurves and I still have one that shoots very well.  The most difficult part of the process was getting the handle piece to feather out perfectly or the bow would break at that point!  I hunted with one of those bows successfully for years.  The poundage was arrived at by the thickness of the fiber glass laminates.  Bingham supplied cores, laminates, and glues and we used our own woods for the handles.  I still shoot that bow at targets once in awhile!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:58:41 am »
Build if you must ,we all have differant ideas of fun !
Me ,I would trad it ,or sand the sides down and tiller it out to the poudage I liked!
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »
I've only built one glass lam bow and it blew up before I got a string on it. I didn't pay close attention to the fades(like WW suggested) and that is right where it gave way.

kurogane_84

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 05:44:44 pm »
i guess it will be a trial and error for me lol and i hope that it wont be the case, but in all chances i try something its a meltdown anyway LOL

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:51 pm »
I know I've been negative, but building laminated bows is certainly doable. If you get plans from Bingham and have them suggest a lamination kit for your draw weight, your odds are pretty good. The things to watch out for are feathering the riser into the limb junction and coming up with a good way of creating consistent clamping pressure during glue-up. You will need to build a bow oven but Bingham has plans and supplies for that too. If you're close to Dallas you're welcome to use mine.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

kurogane_84

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21:04 pm »
I know I've been negative, but building laminated bows is certainly doable. If you get plans from Bingham and have them suggest a lamination kit for your draw weight, your odds are pretty good. The things to watch out for are feathering the riser into the limb junction and coming up with a good way of creating consistent clamping pressure during glue-up. You will need to build a bow oven but Bingham has plans and supplies for that too. If you're close to Dallas you're welcome to use mine.

Good luck,
George

I wish i could im in Eastern Canada :(