Author Topic: string question  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

string question
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »
Have a reflex bow 56" tip to tip how long do you cut the strings & where do you start twisting it to make the hops for a flemish string  & how do you know how many strands to use the string I made when strung its tight but it lies flat on the belly used 16 strands what did I do wrong.
Rob

Offline sharpend60

Re: string question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »
It sounds to me like it is too long.
Probably too long to twist out the slack.

I made a jig a few years back, I have it marked for bow length but the formula is something like...

Length of bow minus 4" + 12" or something like that.
Basicly the string needs to be around 4 inches shorter than the bow so it stays taught. The extra 10" or 12" is for the sting loops. plus a bit to twist. Someone may have the exact measurements but with everything bow making, exact only gets you so far.

Your milage may vary.

Offline billn

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:44:17 pm »
There are at least two good ways to figure out the right string length. Both assume a string with a loop on only one end - the other end tied with a bowyer's knot.

1) Use your tillering string to get the fistmele you want, then measure between the notches. Add on length for the loops - be sure to make it slightly long. You can make final adjustments with string twist.

2) I build my strings with only one loop,  the length of the bow, which leaves plenty of length for the single Flemish loop. Use a bowyer's knot on the lower end and make the course adjustment there - leaving it slightly long. I then remove the loop end from the bow and twist for fine tuning. It only takes a few minutes to get it exact.

Bill

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:33 pm »
Start looking on YouTube you will need to see it done. I add 14 inches to the length of the bow for my Flemish twist strings. that means that your longest strand ( longest because of each strand after that will be shorter as it tapers) will be 70 inches long.
I like free stuff.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »
I recommend the tutorial on poorfolkbows.com for both the string jig and for how to twist a flemish loop.