Author Topic: importing staves  (Read 1360 times)

Offline bushboy

importing staves
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »
Hey guys,I live in southern manitoba canada,and would really like to get a quality osage stave!not sure how much red tape is envoled to get one shipped acrss the border. So for example if I bought a stave from texas for 50bucks, how much would run me after the shipping and handling? Also is a pain shipping wood cross the border with customs stuff? Thx's for any and all help! Bobbyjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: importing staves
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:57:21 pm »
The easiest way to get that info is to check with your customs office.  I know that wood is shipped all the time from the US to Canada but the cost is a mystery.  I do know that there is no delivery confirmation through the US Post Office on shipments to Canada.  Fed EX may be your best bet.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:58:26 pm »
Shipping cost shouldn't be too bad. My guess would be 1/2 the price of the stave if you don't exceed the limits on measurements. Do a search on ebay for osage staves and look at some of Laverns (le_enterprises)  estimated shipping costs. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:03:20 pm »
The bark will have to be removed if I remember correctly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Northernsport

• Shawn Hannah
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »
It is getting harder to get wood into our great country. With the Emerald Ash Borer and Long horn beetle invasion it will depend on if the area has been flagged by the CFIA. I know even for Pallets coming into the country they need to be heat treated and have a cirtificate that they are bug free.

I haven't imported a Stave yet to know all the details, but as the importer of record everything is your responsibility and not the shippers. If there are problems with Canadian Border Services you are the one that pays. I would give them a call to be sure.

Shawn
full blood country

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:40 pm »
I have shipped a few osage staves across the border.  If I remember right, the last two were a little over $30 to ship.  I wrapped them up and put "Craft Supplies" on the form.  They took about a month to get there.  There is an extra charge if the stave is over a certain amount (length+girth).  I keep my staves at or below 70" and I have never had to pay the extra charge.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left