Author Topic: Hungarian bow recommendations?  (Read 15713 times)

Tomorrow_King

Re: Hungarian bow recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 02:59:34 am »
after reading your post and the replys ,i can say nothing negative about the kassai or grozer style hungarian bows,, i did own and and shot a grozer stlye turk bow ,15 years or so ago,, i was not pleased with the handshock that it had,,, since then i have made many horn composite bows ,including the magyar style hungarian bow ,, none of which had any handshock,, it sounds as if you have a lot of inthusiasim,about the hungarain bows ,, if you have the tools and materials ,i think you should give it a try,,, if you need measurements  and lay-outs of the bow i can send them to you ,, i have all the info you would need to build a true horn composit magyar bow,,  james

I would absolutely love to be able to build my own! ;D I have zero bow building experience though and pretty much no wood working experience either. Do you really think it would be a do able project for someone with zero experience? Its definitely something I'd like to give a try though I'm not sure if I have the required tools and I definitely don't have the correct materials. The closest to any of them I have is a tiny horn about 5 inches long, off of what I have no idea but definitely not usable, I dug it out today(its actually been stored away for sometime) hoping it would be thick enough for me to attempt to make a thumb ring but it is sadly not. What sort of materials and tools are required?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »
Howdy,  Most horn bellied bows have some commonalities in construction.  The only book I know of in English is Adam Karpowicz' book on the Turkish Bow.   Get a copy of that book and some dimensions from robustus and you should have a good idea on materials and methods.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Tomorrow_King

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 02:39:55 am »
Howdy,  Most horn bellied bows have some commonalities in construction.  The only book I know of in English is Adam Karpowicz' book on the Turkish Bow.   Get a copy of that book and some dimensions from robustus and you should have a good idea on materials and methods.   Ron

Thanks I'll look that book up!

Still debating on that draw weight, thinking I might go down to my local shop and see if they have some 50lb bows I can pull to get a feel of what to expect. I've only shot my current weight and lower and once for a very short time a 60lb(way to much for me atm) so I have no base line for comparision.

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 08:27:48 pm »
If you are planing to learn how to use a thumb ring, I would advise you to go no higher than the mid-30# range. I'm sure that you are able to draw much higher poundage. I am also sure that you will wind up with sore tendons in your thumb and that it will take you far longer than necessary to learn how to use the thumb draw. A properly fitting ring is a must, or possibly one of the thumb draw gloves that "Three Rivers" sells. The best bet for rings is to learn how to make your own. Final thought; trim your thumb nail short, or the bow string will do it for you.
Bob