Author Topic: arrowhead on cane arrow VS board  (Read 4565 times)

Offline iowabow

arrowhead on cane arrow VS board
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:19:41 pm »
We are having a bow making get together this weekend and Ed (beadman) called me on the phone and said he was coming to help. We started talking about cane vs wood arrow and what they might do when they hit bone so i made an arrow to shoot into a scapula pinned on a 3d deer target. This should be interesting. Will post pictures on sat. night. So what do you here on PA think ?ill happen.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: arrowhead on cane arrow VS board
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:29:39 pm »
it will break through i imagine. the scapula test has been done many times in years past, but then the actually shoot one and it doesnt penetrate! me included!   i think the reason being is the dried "cure" scapula is more brittle than one that is still living, also the fur, skin and flesh does in fact take a little energy out of a stone tipped arrow.   Not saying you can never penetrate one, but I have bounced some stone points off a few shoulder blades so far.  i do however have some heavier arrows and heavier bow and better transitioned points that i think might have a chance
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:12:01 pm »
I have ribs in the freezer lets test that

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:49:09 pm »
Don't know about the penetration but my experience with the shafts would lead me to believe that the cane will outlive the wood.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:35 pm »
Sounds interesting. What kind of weights for draw, arrows, and points? Shot distance? Lets see the pics and details when it's over.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:22:26 pm »
Cane is some amazingly tough material, in my opinion way better than wood. My .02  worth. ;D Later Bob

Offline horatio1226

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:57:27 pm »
Hey John. Your message box is full. I'm wondering if you got my message about the quiver.

Brian

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »
Good cane is much, much stronger than wood, nearly unbreakable. If you wrap heavily for an inch or so behind the point to keep it from splitting, it'll go through about anything that your bow has enough zip to push it through.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 04:33:41 pm »
i did obviously miss part of th epost.. must have skipped over it. the cane is tougher but wood will be heavier in almost all cases unless using light cedar.  any natural hardwood shoot will likely be heavier than cane. Wood shafts should do more damage, but yes in cane is stronger
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »
Depends on the cane. Our local native cane usually gives me 600-700 grain finished 29" arrows, when most hardwood shoots come out at 500 grains or so. Store-bought Tonkin cane shafts are usually pretty light.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 09:01:05 pm »
complete opposite down here, cant hardly get cane arrows to finished out to 550 grains.  my Sparkle berry and privet shafts around here hit over 600 bareshafted.   Demographics im sure!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:22:34 am »
What I gleened from this experiment is... Dont aim for the shoulder! I'm not saying this is definitive, but certainly compelling.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 11:06:36 am »
It seems like a scapula or bone surrounded by muscle and blood flowing in and around it would be a little more forgiving than the dried scapula on target. Billy Berger did an experiment a few years back on a fresh killed deer using smaller points and penetration. It was pretty cool to see smaller point going through rib bones and poking out the other side of the broadside deer. I can't remember if it was a post or an article. I'm going on a search!

Found it. Forum feedback on a PA article
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6962.0.html

Tracy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:35:49 am by TRACY »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:31:21 am »
The cane held up to the job

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 11:39:24 am »
Ribs are no big deal at all providing you have able bow weight, heavy arrow weight and most importantly a tapered and smoothed transition between point and shaft.  smaller points penetrate better for sure.  After  the last 5 deer and hogs i've killed with stone, Ive grown more particular in the workmanship in my arrows.  but even shooting 60-65 pounds and decently heavy arrows, I have yet to penetrate a shoulder. bounced off the shoulder of 1 medium sized hog, 2 deer and 2 turkey shoulders. But i get awesome penetration now on my ribcage shots, always out both sides.   
Formerly "twistedlimbs"