Author Topic: Need help finding stone in Southern Maine  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Mike_H

Need help finding stone in Southern Maine
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:18:25 am »
more specifically the Greater Portland, ME area.  I've tried but have failed in locating even what type of stone that was used in the area.  Any help would be great.

Offline xin

Re: Need help finding stone in Southern Maine
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:31:18 am »
I've looked around the Wells/Ogunquit area and found nothing but igneous rock.  Most of the good knappable chert is sedimentery and New England seems to be mostly igneous rock.  Most of the points I've seen in New England museums were very crude and made from almost unknappable rock.  I suspect the local Native Americans used a lot of bone and antler points and nothing would be left in the archaeologicaL record.  Fire hardened hard woods were probably also used.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:24 am »
Thanks.  I guess I must me relegated to glass alone seeing as I cannot afford to purchase stone.  Oh well, I see it as working man made obsidian.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 01:19:47 am »
Don't forget the john stone. (I actually like working the stuff)  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:46:33 am »
What's john stone, Frank?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
Johnstone is a toilet tank. Only material considered knappabke in Maine is rhyolite. It's definitely man-rock. Tough stuff. Look up Maine primitive skills school in Portland and talk to Mike the director. He may be able to point you in the right direction. Or Arthur Haines of the Delta Institute.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 04:46:29 pm »
Now that's the best set of leads I've had in a long time.  Thanks Jaime.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »
Check out the Maine primitive skills gathering too. Great event. Think its the first weekend in Sept. It's in wells
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:42:16 pm »
I've known about it, Jaime.  Just haven't been able to get there yet.  Not sure if I'll be able to make it this year either.

The University of Southern Maine has a knap-in every year in April.  I went last year but never went into the room with the lithics of New England and missed out on going this year,

However, I've learned that is nothing in the Greater Portland area, so I'll just have to stick with glass for now.

Thanks anyway guys.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 12:21:01 am »
You might want to check out the local pet store. I've seen obsidian used for fish tank decoration sold in our local pet shop.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »
Ncsnipe, I have.  And have attempted to order some from them with no results.  I'll stick to glass for now and buy online later,