Author Topic: Hickory Staves  (Read 3217 times)

kurogane_84

Hickory Staves
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:06:48 am »
Hello all im wondering if there are any Hickory staves out there to get, i want to make a bow, if i could get a roughed out off the hand stave id enjoy it every much, if you have one, let me know please

Offline Will Carothers

Re: Hickory Staves
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »
I would just buy a hickory board, just as good as a stave. And for me it's much simpler to rough out a board than to follow a stae character. Hic. boards are fairly cheap, along with ash boards, or white oak, which are the cheapest decent woods i've found at the lumberyard. Just make sure the grain is straight, but it can take a few runoffs -60#.

kurogane_84

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »
I would just buy a hickory board, just as good as a stave. And for me it's much simpler to rough out a board than to follow a stae character. Hic. boards are fairly cheap, along with ash boards, or white oak, which are the cheapest decent woods i've found at the lumberyard. Just make sure the grain is straight, but it can take a few runoffs -60#.

I wish that was so im in a rural area where knotty pine boards are the best i can do or a oak board, with some decent grains LOL, order from outside i sposse :P

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »
Yes, we've corresponded a little.  When he says he's at the end of the road or in a rural area...he's actually not painting the picture as remote as it really is for him.  What he needs is to find somebody in an area of Canada that has good bow wood who can ship to him.  He's so far north and east that not a lot of bow wood grows.  Well, I'm assuming that.  Does anybody know what bow wood might grow in Newfoundland?  If I run into some local milled hickory down here that looks good I'll try and send it to him, but shipping into Canada makes everything twice as expensive.

Of course, there's an upside as I'm sure it's one of the more beautiful places on the planet with good hunting not far away.  Must be cold in the winter though...

George
St Paul, TX

kurogane_84

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:13:56 pm »
Yes, we've corresponded a little.  When he says he's at the end of the road or in a rural area...he's actually not painting the picture as remote as it really is for him.  What he needs is to find somebody in an area of Canada that has good bow wood who can ship to him.  He's so far north and east that not a lot of bow wood grows.  Well, I'm assuming that.  Does anybody know what bow wood might grow in Newfoundland?  If I run into some local milled hickory down here that looks good I'll try and send it to him, but shipping into Canada makes everything twice as expensive.

Of course, there's an upside as I'm sure it's one of the more beautiful places on the planet with good hunting not far away.  Must be cold in the winter though...

George

George if we get a wind between a north and a south winnd in the winter the snow on the ice blows in our yard and got upto a 25 foot drift, my truck was burried for MONTHs, LOL and yes sir good hunting less than a 30 min boat ride or a skidoo ride, hell i go up the shore a ways and hunt with bow and bunnies and bears walk thru out yard, i was feeding a rabbit old lettuce last night, if anyone is interested in seeing where i live, goto google maps and search:

61 lake View Drive, North West River, NL, A0P 1M0

and yes it is beautiful, you go up thru the rapids between the lake i live on and the next lake its like stepping back into the 1800s, i own a small 12 X 24 log cabin and it is rustic lol, no electricity or ppl for miles, walk in over the hill a good days walk and your off the grid, you cant use cell phones, and GPS cant find you LOL, ive tried, but my favorite place is in behind my cabin sitting near a old fallen tree on the moss and just listening to nature :)

the oly wood thats in my area is Birch, Black/ White/ Blue Spruce, Pine, Popular ( hard to find accessible enough to harvest), Trembling aspen, Gummy popular, Juniper is sparse, and the pine beetles have killed alot, Dog wood and a stone pit cherry, i did grow some cedar but the town came and cut them saying it was an invasive species....... idiots they are

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »
You might check the variety of birch.  Some pretty nice birch bows have been made, but the variety makes a difference if I remember right.  Be worth a search on here.  I have a maple backed birch bow glued up but not cut out yet.

George
St Paul, TX

kurogane_84

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:24:31 pm »
we have the white paper birch only, its a good wood for burning in winter but its not very good for making long bows from it, only short under 3 foot bows LOL, i asked a family member who made them for his grand son

kurogane_84

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »
thank you again sir

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 02:15:25 pm »
i built a bow from dogwood too.
Look into it.  Flowering dogwood.