Author Topic: question about staves  (Read 1855 times)

kurogane_84

question about staves
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:03:16 am »
Hello all, im thinking of making a replica bow similar to that of the one that i had when i was a young feller, my father either made it or got a friend to, but it was a long bow with reflex style ends, it also had a Celtic scroll design and a design of a Bear on either end,  i was wondering if it would be called a long bow still or would it be a recurve LOL, it was a birch bow but i would lie to use hickory and stain it either a Red oak or English chestnut. and after putting the design into the back of the bow would it be advised to use a fiberglass mat to back the bow and work it into the design, tehn finish with the tillering process then complete it with a few layers of durathane varnish??

im wondering if i should make it from a u finish floor tillered bow stave or try my hand at making one from a piece of 2X1 i can find at a hardware store, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated on this project, and on the u finish staves, could i even say i made it?? or finished it??

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: question about staves
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:40 am »
Well, you will have to decide but if you decide on learning how to to tiller and make your own, my site will get you started. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

kurogane_84

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:59:50 pm »
alright lol, and ive reviewed your site, it is very informative and worded very well :)

kurogane_84

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »
Well, you will have to decide but if you decide on learning how to to tiller and make your own, my site will get you started. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html

George, i was wondering what did you think of my fiberglass backing idea?? im thinking of having a flat back and a flat belly.

and i was wondering would you put flex into the limbs???? and adding overlays, are they put on before or after tillering?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
Please stay away from f!b€®gl@$$. It's a cuss word around here. You will not need it and it will only increase your chance of disappointment.

I typically glue on overlays before tillering, after floor tillering. However, you could also glue on the tip overlays after tillering, but then you have to keep in mind the string grooves beforehand. If you carve string grooves for the tiller string, you have to account for the overlay to be glued onto the back of the bow later on.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

kurogane_84

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »
Please stay away from f!b€®gl@$$. It's a cuss word around here. You will not need it and it will only increase your chance of disappointment.

I typically glue on overlays before tillering, after floor tillering. However, you could also glue on the tip overlays after tillering, but then you have to keep in mind the string grooves beforehand. If you carve string grooves for the tiller string, you have to account for the overlay to be glued onto the back of the bow later on.

alright, ill ignore the fiberglass, and before tillering i can add them on there? im new to the overlays LOL, i was looking at a stave thats a u finish bow, it needs to be sanded, the finishing touches and have the tillering finished, and the overlays put on, and the final shaping if youd like it, and i may go with a roughed out stave, might might not LOL

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:08:09 pm »
I like to keep it natural, kurogane. I've never used fg though I shot fg bows for many years. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!