Author Topic: Horn mollegabet  (Read 3780 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Horn mollegabet
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:07:37 am »
I like it!  I assume sinew backed too?

George
St Paul, TX

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 03:19:26 am »
Thanks sorry I have been a bit light on details......
Yes it's sinew backed with deer and ostritch sinew, buffalo horn belly,maple core,hickory handle and black locust tips. It hasn't been finished yet and will have to wait a few days.
I'm a bit dissappointed because the draw weigth is only around 40lbs and I like 60 -70 lbs bows...but nevermind you can't expect everything to work out! The next one will be a few mm thicker in the bending sections.
I will change a few things on the next one, 1 -  more setback in the handle. 2 - more reflex in the tips. 3 -
Thicker (doh...) 4 - I might also make it shorter. All to stress the horn fully.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:34:39 am »
Nice...
You could have coppied the IMGs into the post to save us clicking around... gotta watch out for RSI and tennis elbow ;)
How thick is the horn? It's barely visible or is it wrapped with something? I s'pose it just on the belly of the working section.
Ah I can see it on the full draw pic... (silly cat  :-[ )
Del
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:06:19 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:28:44 am »
Thanks sorry I have been a bit light on details......
Yes it's sinew backed with deer and ostritch sinew, buffalo horn belly,maple core,hickory handle and black locust tips. It hasn't been finished yet and will have to wait a few days.
I'm a bit dissappointed because the draw weigth is only around 40lbs and I like 60 -70 lbs bows...but nevermind you can't expect everything to work out! The next one will be a few mm thicker in the bending sections.
I will change a few things on the next one, 1 -  more setback in the handle. 2 - more reflex in the tips. 3 -
Thicker (doh...) 4 - I might also make it shorter. All to stress the horn fully.

By the looks and sound of it you are crossing over to an asiatic composit....which kinda supports the idea some people have of how those evolved/developed...as gradual improvments to a lever type design.

Very interesting project....and nice bow...love the exstrem look at full draw.-)

Cheers

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:45:54 am »
When does a Möllegabet turn into an Asiatic composite? I think this one is a hybrid :P A bit more reflex and it will get that typical Asiatic composite look.

I bet it shoots fast for a 40 pounder. I bet such a bow would be easy to sell, Mike... But why not heat those levers into a bit more recurve, and see what you can get? If this was "just" an experiment, you might as well push it a little.

Nice bow. I hope to see more of these projects.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:20:38 am »
Dang mike....you already finished it...i have some questions....hows it shoot? Any chrony results yet,or how fast is it by looks n feel? How much retained reflex? Any dimensions stats? I imagine it would still be quick but i do beleive this design wood shine if above 60 pounds.

I decided to forego using that hhb stave with my attempt,and im gonna get some maple when i come across some and use it and glue it up via splices the way you did. I think thats the better way of doing it.

It looks sweet,and i like it overall....good job man.  ;)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:00:34 am »
Mike we have been waiting on this report !!
Looks like your off to a good start !!
Cant wait to see more !!

Chris , come see me thousands of maples oak and hickories down all around me, got word last night of a couple of hedge apples down so now if I can pry a saw away from one of the power workers -- >:D >:D
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:26:14 am »
Thanks guys.
Del - for some reason my comp wouldn't upload the pics to this page??
Holten - yes I agree it's a logical process to eventually get to a Magyar style bow from this. 1st - wooden bows 2nd - better materials in compression and compression combined. 3rd - straining those materials to their fullest.
Darksoul - you read my mind! These are a doddle to make compared to a Turkish hornbow....This needed virtually no tillering because the core/horn and sinew are all tapered before any bending even starts. It's takes a bit of work with the calipers to ensure no thin spots etc but I'm happy when a bow can just be braced and taken to full draw!
Blackhawk - I'm just too busy for the next week or so to do any serious testing but it's holding about 9 inches of reflex. The limbs are around 30mm wide but can't remember the lengths of the working limbs/tips etc off the top of my head. I will measure it soon and let you know.
Buckeye - Many thanks for the interest - more info to follow. Once I get it finished up properly i'll post some more pics.