Author Topic: hackberry bow  (Read 5013 times)

Offline grinner

hackberry bow
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:26:29 pm »
Hi i have started a hack berry bow 70" 2 inches to 1.5 midlimb then to 1/2" tips. Where should i start with limb thickness for around a 50# bow also should it be the same thickness the whole limb after fades or tapered? Thanks for the help

Offline Newindian

Re: hackberry bow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:38:11 pm »
I don't know what the final thickness sould be, but on the subject of a consistant width it depends on design just keep in mind if it gets thicker it will probably get narrower and viceverca.
I like free stuff.

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:47:46 pm »
Start with 5/8" thick limbs and go from there. That should give you plenty of room to tiller. Sounds like a semi pyramid design so you probably wont need much thickness taper.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:53:48 pm »
If it is a pyramid front profile, the thickness stays about the same....  I don't know if I have enough experience to give you a specific number or not.  Maybe 5/8ths or 3/4" might be a good place to start....  each piece is different, even within a certain species...  I floor tiller and then work it down with the ferrier's rasp till I get a limb bending like I want it to....  then try to get the other one to match it.  I think keeping the limbs bending evenly is the big thing.  I don't usually measure the thickness, come to think of it.  I did on my first few bows, I think, but at some point I just started eyeballing the way the limbs were bending.  I would err on the side of caution and take off a little bit at first - you sure can't put it back...   ;)  Good luck with it. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:02 pm »
Ha! me and Okie both said 5/8ths!  that is probably a good spot to start.   :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:26:25 pm »
What kind of draw length are you going for?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline grinner

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »
going for a 27" draw thanks for the help

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 03:24:18 pm »
With only a 27" draw, a 70" bow has lots of extra lumber hanging out on the limbs.  I am assuming you are doing a stiff handle and stiff fade-outs into the bow limbs.  In that case, you can use the old stand-by of "(2x drawlength) + 10%". 

(2x27) + 5.4 = 59.4  Or just call it 60 inches, nock to nock. 

With the wide limbs (side to side) you will end up with fairly thin (front to back) cross section.  Pyramid bows are a pretty safe design structurally, so shortening your limbs up should not be putting your stave in jeopardy of turning into kindling on full draw. 

Post some pics, I love hackberry!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline grinner

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:00:02 am »
THanks for the help. I got it shorted to 60 inches and floor tillered. I am thinking about heat treating it but i am not sure what the moisture concrete is will it hurt if it is not dry enough? Also what is a good way to tell MC without a meter. THanks for the help

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »
If you let the wood sit now at the floor tillered stage for a few weeks it should be just fine, even if it was cut green in the last few months! 

Where are the pictures, where???   :(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:17 pm »
I too am working on a Hackberry Bow currently.  70" ttt.  4" stiff handle, 2" fades.  Width is 2" at the fades and tapers slightly to 1 3/4" mid limb.  Sharp taper from there to 3/8" nocks.  I marked it to 5/8" for thickness as a place to start.  I don't measure it beyond that first rough measure so I can only tell you that 5/8" is probably a good place to start.  Still way to thick, at least on this one.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline grinner

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 06:39:32 pm »
Thanks for the help I will try to post picture later today. Thanks

Offline grinner

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:25:48 pm »
Here is a back and side view of the bow. Will post more pics of the tiller as it comes along