Author Topic: Dogwood bow  (Read 2057 times)

Offline wolleybugger

Dogwood bow
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:19:07 am »
I got a buddy who is a lefty and I had a couple of left hand bows so we swapped and I ended up with a self bow that was partly done and another bow that was Yew and had fiberglass for backing. The Yew bow was too heavy for me but got it down to my shooting weight in a couple of hours by doing some tillering. He told me the self bow is Southern Dogwood. The question is how hard is the Dogwood bow going to be to finish. It is pretty wide and pulls aroung 80 pounds so I got plenty of wood to work with. It also is already following the string. I have only worked with Osage before and am in new territory.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Dogwood bow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:29 am »
Dogwood is a really nice and strong bowwood. You don't need to chase a ring as you would with osage. Actually, it's nearly impossible to even see the rings in this wood. Once it's finely sanded you see some fine rings, but you can't follow a ring. You don't need to follow a ring, so that's no problem. As long as the back of the bow is the intact outer surface of the tree, you don't need a backing or anything. You can just carve a bow like you would with osage...I'm not saying it's identical to osage, but I think the workability and stiffness are pretty comparable to osage. Dogwood isn't harder or easier to finish than osage, but the large amount of small knots that can be present in dogwood might make it more difficult to smoothen the surface.
Has the bow been fully tillered and pulled to the 80 pounds drawweight? If so, lowering the drawweight may not help with lowering the set it has already taken. In fact, once set is there, it's hard to remove. You could heat treat the belly (=temper) while clamping the bow into a few inches of reflex. Furthermore, when the bow is designed and pulled to 80#, it will get pretty inefficient if you just scrape it down to a more manageable drawweight of, say, 50 pounds. You can easily scrape it down ten pounds, but when you want to lower the drawweight dramatically, you basically have to re-design the bow and decrease the width of the limbs as well.  How much do you want to lower the drawweight?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline wolleybugger

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:57:46 pm »
I want to lower the draw weight to about 50 pounds. Thanks, looks like I'll have to do the whole bow over, no problem just making sure its worth the time. Looks like its going to be a nice bow when done.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »
I have only worked pacific dogwood, it is great wood! Pacific dogwood is around .72 sg if I remember right, and the wood is easy to work (spokeshaves easily) How is its eastern cousin in workability?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.