Author Topic: Video on over shot.  (Read 2894 times)

Offline iowabow

Video on over shot.
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:14 pm »
Well I wanted to make a video that took a clunky biface and cleaned it up using the paleo flaking techniques. I have been working on this ABO for about 2 weeks maybe 3 and continue to make progress each day. I hope people can see that you don't have to be great to make this work. I think this technique was a fast and efficient method of producing points during this era. The only hard part about learning this technique is unlearning what you know.
I had to do this in 7 segments because the memory on the card was killing me during filming.
This video is for you George enjoy!
I am often out of frame but stick with the 7 videos it gets better and there should be enough of me pushing flakes for you to get the point.

OK no jokes about the dried blood or the one long hair on my knuckle lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0qFvHZTPU&list=PLA5DE9BA3C479E88E&feature=plcp

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:39:57 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: Video on over shot.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:56:16 pm »
My editor was at work so forgive the avil i forget the N like i did the stone in the video lol.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:57:12 pm »
Thanks John, I enjoyed that.  You did test my patience there at first when I couldn't see what you were doing.  You were right, by the time it got to the end I was captivated.  I'm very anxious to get out to the shop and do some pressure flaking.  You hold the stone the opposite direction I do and it completely changes the angles of the pressure flaker.  Maybe there's a reason I stink at it.  Ah...show's over.  I'm off to the shop.  Once I can run flakes then we'll look at the overshot technique.

Thanks for the videos.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:14 am »
That was a great set on how you go about it. Thank you
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:06:57 am »
Wahoo John, thank you so much.  I went out, changed the way I hold the points and ran flakes like crazy with the ishi.  Only had a bout 5min but the first spall I could find had a big hump on it with a ridge down the center and I was able to run flakes uphill quite a ways and one went clear up on top of it from the point taking that whole ridge off.

I can't wait to go out tomorrow morning and have some more fun.  Yippee!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:09:53 am »
Your welcome George, it was my first time making a video with this new phone. I did not know i was out of frame untill I was well into the project.

Thanks Seider glad you enjoyed it.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:12:34 am »
Wow you really did!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
Crud!  Got up this morning, ran out to the shop and couldn't run a flake more than a quarter inch.  Ran 2 or 3 passes before I gave up, switched to indirect and thinned the point in 4 hits on each side.  Good grief.  Guess I'll watch again. :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:11 am »
George that edge that I am push on has to be just perfect.  I cant explain how it looks because it is  just a visual thing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:19 am »
Naw John, it's an execution problem.  When I run flakes a quarter inch with the ishi and 3/4" with indirect  off the same platform it's my technique.  I'm sure I don't have the platforms right for your overshot technique.  I'll keep working on it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:06:20 pm »
Ya this is real hard to do! I have tried about 30 or more times and on the video I did it kinda for the first time. Now I am getting real close to doing it well and this technique should produce some great points. It is difficult because so many things have to be in place before it works in 3d.  the knappers of the past must have spent hours and hours to learn this way of making points.

Offline seider

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 06:04:44 pm »
I got a casting from a website as a visual aid and wow this thing is crazy long.  The fake scares are real nice on it to  even though it is not real it helps one day need to get to a knappin.  Missed the crossplains one maybe next year
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 06:38:04 pm »
Like George, I had a tough go with part1&2 being mostly audible, seeings how I'm a visual learner. Sounded good though, Ill watch more later. Thanks for taking the time John.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline StevenT

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
Hey John, I look at your first vid like your first ABO posting... you were still learning. So just like your first ABO points, it is a starting point for video and you only got better. I watched all 7 and I was able to get out of it the two things I think you intended which was a good understanding on what you mean when you say "reverse platform" and how to run the longer flakes all the way to the other side. I don't see any way you could have explained that with drawings on paper. The other thing I got was the use of the anvil stone to stop the flakes. So overall I would say Bravo! you accomplished what you set out to show and I enjoyed watching and learning. Well done and now that you are have gotten your feet wet, I look forware to your future vids.

Just curious, how long is the ishi stick you are using?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 04:27:18 pm »
well done dude, you are kickin a$$
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct