Author Topic: Re: native pottery part 2  (Read 25545 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: native pottery part 2
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »
Well if you read part 1 you know where i am headed. Here is vessel #1 finished
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:10:15 am »
John, you are the antithesis of Wiley Coyote.  Ol' Wiley never stepped back and considered what went wrong with a project, never learned....he just went to his big Acme Catalog and ordered a bigger rocket.  Something tells me Wiley shoots a wheel bow these days.

You, on the other hand, court the mistakes in order to learn the hows, whys, wherefors and so on.  For an artist, you have a scientist's operating system installed in that wet-ware betwixt and between your ears.  Maybe that's why I admire you.  You are the Paleo-Rennaissance Man!  Nice combination of right brain/left brain. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:02:23 am »
John, you are the antithesis of Wiley Coyote.  Ol' Wiley never stepped back and considered what went wrong with a project, never learned....he just went to his big Acme Catalog and ordered a bigger rocket.  Something tells me Wiley shoots a wheel bow these days.

You, on the other hand, court the mistakes in order to learn the hows, whys, wherefors and so on.  For an artist, you have a scientist's operating system installed in that wet-ware betwixt and between your ears.  Maybe that's why I admire you.  You are the Paleo-Rennaissance Man!  Nice combination of right brain/left brain.

well said

immensely enjoyed  the first post and equally anticipating this one!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:48:04 am »
Have you ever heard that filling the pot with " DRY " sand will help even the heat out as it is fired?

Never made any pottery myself but heard that someplace.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »
Well said JW!  John, Man you have added handles to this pot, even a harder area to control the heat.  :o  Can't wait to see how it comes out.  When you weld cast iron, sometimes you use sand to slow the heat loss down.  might be an idea, also covering the ware w/ broken ware like you said in part 1.  I'm staying tuned in. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:30 am »
JW thank you! You guys are two nice. JW you should be writing for a TV show show. You have a great way with words. You have to be the funniest person i know.
Ok the pot made it past the first challenge and has dried without cracking.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:44:27 am »
What JW said. That's amazing work.. Love the design.. Almost looks like the infinity symbol..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:15:49 am »
Additional information
I did not know until reading more that the shell should be cooked in a fire first before crushing. I found it very difficult to crush the shell and this step would have made that process much easier. I think when I make a mistake it is very Important to point it out to the readers so that it is not repeated. Now with that said i should be OK because i ground my shells very well and much of it was dust. I may have some organic matter in the shell but there is not much i can do about it at this point. Also those pots that fail will be crushed and added back to the following firings and will have the shell aready cooked. So if the pots fail again then this is just a step that can be concidered as a material producing step.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 12:22:47 pm »
Very impressed John.Looking forward to seeing the finished vessel.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:16:17 pm »
Very impressed John.Looking forward to seeing the finished vessel.  :)
   Pappy

Thank you pappy? Wish I had that pit of yours to fire in. I got the next pot made and now
 it is a matter waiting for things to dry.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »
I just read a very good paper on the pitfire. I will post a link later in the week when i find it again

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »
I cant build a fire so this project is on hold till the grass turns green. I is scary dry here.

Offline seider

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:54:30 pm »
sounds like down here in Texas last year. we have been lucky to get alittle bit of rain this year but not enough to lift water restrictions.   you have got this and napping down to a art. pure talent
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:14 pm »
I picked up about 20 # of shell so i can ramp up production. I also got  the promission from the landowner next to the creek to do a clay haul. So i am thinking 100#  of clay for the first run.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:47 pm »
Nice shell haul.  I can't wait to see some pots coming outa the fire, John!

Now take one of the larger shells, rough the interior up with coarse grit sandpaper, burn the tip of a broken cedar arrow shaft, and use it like a striker on a slate turkey call.  Those freshwater mussels make pretty good slates for Ol' Tom Gobbler. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.