Author Topic: A tale of two hawks  (Read 1670 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

A tale of two hawks
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:21:59 pm »
A while back I was lloking for someone to make my son a tomahawk. I sent a PM to PennHawk and he is one hard guy to get a hold of. When I did not hear from Penn, I  ordered one from a local guy and Penn finally got back to me. I paid for the local and worked a trade with Penn. He sent me my sons hawk and included a knife sheath that he had made for his personal knife. My part of the trade was to do the beadwork for the sheath. He sent a picture of the knife and a color scheme and one design and a bear claw he wanted included in the design. So i jumped in and worked on it at work in the museum.  Took me longer than I thought - about 30 hours, i do not really know for sure as I did not keep track of the actual time I worked on it.  I finally got the piece finished but would like to seal it as some of the beads concealing the edging are done lazy stitch style. I thought I might spray it with some varnish or something - any ideas. Penn will be using this sheath a lot.  It was a good trade and I hope Penn likes the finished result, the tomahawk is beautiful. The end of the story is, my son now has two hawks. He is very happy with both of them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:36:28 pm by YosemiteBen »

Offline SA

Re: A tale of two hawks
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:03:25 pm »
very nice beadwork looks great(lots of patience  :)), and that hawk looks to cool he did a good job. do you have pics of the other one ? was it handmade also? you can never have to many tomahawks. i saw one made from a railroad spike on here a while back and have wanted one like it ever since.
Shawn Acker

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »
the sheath look's real nice ben, look's like he made the hawk from a farriers rasp, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:37:42 am »
Very nice things!
1’—>1’

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:32:11 pm »
Hey Ben the sheath looks great . Glad your son liked the hawk.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:19:19 am »
Yes Sir,

Love the Bead Work Mr. Ben...
I have done a bit of beading myself from time to time and it is Very time consuming but downright rewarding when done right.

As to sealing the sheath did a bit of looking around on the net and found this piece.
Some of the info is a bit off topic but I think the Liquid Future Floor Wax trick might work for this piece.

http://www.beadingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2008/09/10/how-to-keep-the-finish-on-metallic-and-dyed-beads.aspx

Makes me want to pull out my bead box...
Maybe when I finish my Round To Its...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:04 pm »
Awesome Bead Work Ben!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:01:35 am »
Oh I like that sheath.. And the hawk as well. Great work!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.