Author Topic: gets little better  (Read 3718 times)

Offline iowabow

gets little better
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:31:39 pm »
I keep making the same point so that i can learn this over shot stuff. OK looking at the point you might say i dont see the flakes going off and you are right because i am stopping them with a small stone . If you have been following my journey on this quest you know that the pattern on the front need to match the back. I almost did it on this point but forgot to set angle on last pass but it is the closest attempt yet. On the back you can see the ill effect of not getting a bending diagonal  flakes because it leaves the median ridge to the side. I hope i am not wearing people out with this quest.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

Re: gets little better
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »
I'm not bored with it.  I like seeing your progress. Picking up a few pinters in the process.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:39 pm »
Keep it going !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:20:42 pm »
I need somethin to read while I wait for dial-up to load the pics.  ;)

Awesome points John, it's the teacher in you that makes this quest interesting. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline seider

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:35 pm »
Dang you can drive some flakes there buddy.  That is working out real nice for you.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:18:31 am »
I need somethin to read while I wait for dial-up to load the pics.  ;)

Awesome points John, it's the teacher in you that makes this quest interesting. dp
I think your right. Also thank you.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:38:33 am »
I'm not bored with it.  I like seeing your progress. Picking up a few Pointers in the process.

OK i have over come many of the obstacles in producing the edge to edge flaking. For example how to set it up and just exactly how to run the overshots and how to reverse the platform for running the short flakes buttttttt there are two question that remain
1 how does the pattern on the back relate to the front. Are they running the same direction or opposite.
2 when starting a diagonal pattern is the location of the median ridge a factor at the start. I have not paid close enough attention to what is making for a great run. I have been focusing on what makes a great contact and platform that produces the best long flake.

So if you have any ideas i will try them today and see if that second side is a goal i can tackle.

I have picture of a paleo flaked point i will post here in a few mins maybe it can tell us what the matched patterns looked like.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 09:59:40 am »
I think this is side A. It was started first
Long flakes on left made tip to base and short set from reversed platform that sometimes end with finger nail steps that ran base to tip
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:08:08 am by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:10 am »
I think this is side B because it is not as nice. I think it also ran tip to base starting on the left side. I see some steps on the right side that are running into left side flakes indicating sequence. I could be wrong be cause these flakes over shoot so much it is hard to tell.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:30:05 am by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:41:29 am »
Unless I am seeing this wrong-if this was see through glass we would see that the flake patterns made an X. That is interesting on many levels but it stucturally makes for a very strong point. It is kinda like an overlapping trust system. This would really distribute stress. I wish i could stress test diffent flaking teckniques. I bet this would be the strongest. Looks like the median ridge on the back shifted to the right be cause the pattern was not as good as the front. So one question answered but a few more remain.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 10:51:05 am »
This fis friggin awesome. Keep it coming! I would love to see a vid on you setting up and running one of those long flakes. That is one purty point! Like we say back home..... Damn!!!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 11:22:05 am »
This fis friggin awesome. Keep it coming! I would love to see a vid on you setting up and running one of those long flakes. That is one purty point! Like we say back home..... Damn!!!

Now the last point is real. I did not make it. The first one i made. I am going to make  a video today if I get the time. It is easy to run real long flakes but it is not done in the way we normally learn pressure flaking. The big trick is saving the pattern so you can show it off when done. It is many times faster to make a point with overshot than with multiple passes to just over center because the overshot thins the side you start on plus the center plus the otherside with just one flake. This conserves on time, material (antler and stone), and engery. This is easier on the joints also because it takes less force. Just think about the overshot that surprized you because you really did not think you were pushing that hard. Well this just repeats that process over and over. What was a mistake is what you now want
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:35:43 am by iowabow »

Offline seider

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »
That is really interesting.. I really like the concept of running the flakes from side to side to thin the whole point. I have a hard time with pressure flaking due to the fact i have had carpual tunnel surgery on both hands and have lost alot of my grip.  Makes it hard to hold the boppers sometimes.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:38:27 pm »
Looking real good John! Looks like you got a real good cook on that piece. I'm with Derik, keepon teaching us!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956