Author Topic: Christmas in July  (Read 1687 times)

Offline budmenchaca

Christmas in July
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:44 pm »
Just got a new batch of rocks in...my dad came in from the TX hill country with a box FULL of goodies! When I opened it I was surprised to see that they are all artifacts! A 125 lb box of genuine artifacts,,,bifaces, preforms, some brokies and a whole lotta beautiful Texas flint.

I had to put them away for now..but I'll probably be up late tonight drooling over some rocks.

Enjoy!
~Vegetarian is an Indian word for "Bad Hunter"
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline seider

Re: Christmas in July
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »
WOW That is a haul.  He did some digging around..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:27:16 am »
That is awesome! How long did it take him to gather that many points?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline budmenchaca

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:26:07 am »
These artifacts are an accumilation of several years of hunting. My brother-in-law manages a deer lease in Llano, Tx. (Lucky!) He has free range to play on a 5500 acre ranch near historical Enchanted Rock.

I was told that he had a box of flint for me to bust up into arrowheads and whatnot...but when I cracked open the box I was face to 'biface' with all these beauts!!

Definitely not hittin' any of these with a bopper or hammerstone!

I can't wait to get in there and check em all out.
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:08:10 am »
Now there's a bunch of perds! Nice collection, now where'd he stash all the good stuff ::)?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »
WOW !   ;D......I see some cool bases there. Out to the tarp ! !  Lucky dude ! ! !   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline seider

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »
My uncle is a teacher in cherokee and i know that area very well have found some really nice points out in that neck of the woods... 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 12:47:11 pm »
Good Gift!!  I'd keep the points, but I see a bunch of nice pieces I'd knap too. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline budmenchaca

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »
Cowboy...Turns out they do have some more rock (the good stuff). I just gotta go get it!  :o  So needless to say, I'll be making a rock run very soon. Most-likely this coming up weekend. The local material happens to be Root Beer, Pedernales, Georgetown and a few others I'm not sure of.  I'll try and get enough to satisfy my 'fix' with enough left over for trading. I love trading on here!

Sparrow...I still have to inventory the whole lot but as of right now I've counted over 100 brokies and over 50 bifaces and countless other pieces I have yet to go through. Also in the box was a couple of wierd tools. One looked like an oversized guitar pick out of some sandstone and a hematite sphere (effigy?)...I also pulled out a small pc of pottery. Good stuff!

Seider...That's too weird. I've got an uncle that lives in Cherokee too! It's beautiful country. Lots a places for an indian to hide his goodies!

Bowtarist...I've got several ugly preform/bifaces that I'm considering busting up. I'm having an inner struggle with myself though  :-\  To knap, or not to knap...THAT is the question.
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:52 pm »
One of my neighbors upon moving from the state gave me a small batch of points/flakes and a biface or two.  I kept the points and put the flake/biface in my knapping kit.  I made a nice point out of a hornstone piece she gave me and I felt really great the whole time.  I figured the pieces I were given came from a debitage pit and had been discarded or put to the side, ready to use.  ;) ;D  What a cache, I looked @ the pics again thismornig. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline seider

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:50:39 pm »
What is his name i might know him.  There is alot of good flint down there but i have never found any around llano it is all granite.  Have looked at cherokee just not llano need to go run around on some back roads and see what i find..  That sounds like a good road trip.  Plus coopers in llano have to make a stop there