Author Topic: Lowes stave  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Simmental

Lowes stave
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:37:29 am »
I just picked up this at Lowes for 12 bucks. It is 60" long and solid hickory with pretty straight grain. It is actually a contractors wheelbarrow handle. I am planning on cutting some "wild" staves to hide under the bed but I want to be busy while they are drying so I though I would give it a try. I figured it should work better than the red oak boards that are pretty much the only other option at the hardware store. What do you think?

mikekeswick

Re: Lowes stave
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:46:52 am »
Hard to tell from the picture but if the grain is good then there's a bow in there!
I've made a few recurves from spliced axe handle's before I knew where to get good hickory from.

Offline Simmental

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:07:09 am »
Here is a closeup of the grain. I couldn't get a picture of the grain along the whole length.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:30:52 am »
That grain looks great. One thing to keep in mind , the end with the handle has violated 1/4' of rings as it tapers. I guess you could reduce the rest of the handle down so that it is all one ring/ flat. Then you will have a completely even back. The other 3 sides shouldn't matter.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:43:33 am »
Anything is better than trim boards. Good choice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
HA! Good find.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Simmental

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 11:27:48 am »
Hrothgar, I was planning on doing just that, seeing as I have plenty of thickness. I was also planning on choosing the side where the rings are spaced farther apart for the back because I assumed that this is the side closest to the outside of the tree. Am I right in that? I will keep posting as the project progresses.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:46:12 am »
I have used these for ring chasing practice, and backing strips.  As for the grain, just don't chase the underside, unless you want to try a concave back bow... (don't ask me why I mention not chasing an under-ring  :o)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:29:43 pm »
I have made a few bows out of those.  I prefer to saw it down the middle with a table saw the use that as the back that way the round handle ends up being a tip on the belly.  I saw saw it so the grain is quartersawn.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 03:00:52 pm »
I saw some of those in HD, but they didn't specify what kind of wood, so I was sceered to try. They had some smaller stuff in ash, but none that looked too good, though. That looks like a good one. Good luck with it!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 03:13:29 pm »
Anything is better than trim boards. Good choice.
im finding that out in a hurry

Offline Simmental

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 03:24:33 pm »
Lesken, I thought that it was hickory from the start but it isn't a wood I have worked much before. Stacked next to these handles were some axe handles that were labeled and it was pretty easy to compare the grain.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 03:34:16 pm »
It is getting harder to find good hickory handles anymore.  Some are not hickory....always check to see if it is tagged that way.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II