Author Topic: a honey locust and a white oak - last week's bows  (Read 6330 times)

Offline H Rhodes

a honey locust and a white oak - last week's bows
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:15:55 am »
Here are two bows that I built last week...  The addiction took it's toll last week and I built two bows, both from half splits of six inch trees.  I wanted to see if I could finish one from honey locust, and it proved to be quite challenging.  The other is a heat treated white oak, that is quite possibly the best shooting bow that I have built so far. 
  The white oak is 68" NTN, a pyramid bow with a little character around a big knot about ten inches fromt he handle, about eight inches of non bending handle.  I applied a dark walnut stain with spar urethane over that.  It has osage tip overlays and if I had a decent camera I would show them to you....  This bow is 65# at 29" and has a little over an inch of string follow.  I think it will be my hunting bow this coming season.   :)

The honey locust came in at 40# @ 28" and is also 68" NTN.  This yellow wood is a pleasure to work with, but it began to splinter near a big knot, and I ended up wrapping it with B-50 and superglue.  I put some more on the other side just to balance out the appearance.  I got nervous and backed the bow with green linen canvas and it shoots pretty sweet.  The bow took a little less than an inch of string follow and I feel fortunate that it held together..... honey locust is not black locust.... not at all.  It is beautiful wood and and I am glad to have that out of my "woods that I want to try" list.   ???   I had to wear my party shirt when the honey locust held together!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:24:21 am by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: a honey locust and a white oak - last week's bows
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:35:56 am »
Nice work,love the shirt. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:52:50 am »
Thanks Pappy.  Everybody needs a hot pink palm tree shirt..... ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:01 am »
By the way love the tiller and color on the white oak,very nice. I have tried Honey lo. but wasn't impressed,looks like you done ok on yours. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:37:01 pm »
Thanks Pappy. 

I am not into finishing work...  I stained it dark since I plan to hunt with it this fall.  I don't even sand with anything finer than 250 grit.  I like building and shooting them, but for some reason the finish work just doesn't appeal to me!  I think that white oak might just be my favorite wood.  I made another bow from a sister stave to this one and it took quite a lot of set - really sort of below average performer....  This one I heat treated by toasting the belly over the stove and it shoots great. 
  I had to really be careful with that honey locust.  It is sort of brittle and it started to get some scary looking cracks near the knots,  even before I had stressed the bow at all.  I just wanted to see if I could make a bow out of it.  The yellow wood is beautiful stuff,  and I think if you got a really straight stave, it would make a fine bow.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »
  Nice bows, honey locust is a funny wood, very brittle and not very dense. Iwil also chrysal in a hearteat. If you are successful with a honely locust bow it will be a screamer as are many brittle woods.

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 04:44:12 pm »
excellent Mr. Rhodes, That Oak bow is a deer killer for sure......dont know for positive, but I bet there has never been a bow killed deer that bitched about gettin killed with a "ugly" bow. Think they taste the same in the pan too >:D
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 05:05:50 pm »
Thanks fellas.  This little honey locust bow had to be somewhat overbuilt.  It is two inches wide over sixty percent of it's length and then tapers to 1/2 inch nocks.  It shoots pretty good, even with all that mass.  I might try another one if I can find a stave that is close to perfect.  The wood is really pretty stuff and is easy to work.

Rich, I reckon you are right about that.  My bows are  built to shoot and I don't worry too much about the  comsmetic perfection, but I do admire the patient craftsmen on here that build these works of art.  Maybe one day I will slow down and pretty one up real nice....  Meanwhile, I plan to put some protein in the freezer with this white oak bow!  I am counting days til our season opens......  come on October.... 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 05:20:44 pm »
  Howard, I am like you. I don't get too involved in pretty but I do admire those who do.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:21 pm »
Even though I am not into it....  honey locust could really be beautiful if the right guy got hold of it.  The heart wood is almost a pink color while the rest of the wood is sort of yellow colored.  Here is a pic of the handle.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »
You've been a busy guy, Howard. Good job on those!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:29:04 pm »
I like em! And further more i belive that a party shirt such as that shuld be a prerequisite for the full draw shot >:D i have not tryd honey locust yet but i figure with that many mean thorns on the outside there must ne somthing worth protecting inside! Good job ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 10:12:24 am »
Thanks Kenny and Soy.  It was sort of precarious getting by those thorns growing out of the trunk!  I don't know if the juice was worth the squeeze, but I had been wanting to build one from honey locust for a while.  Yep, the party shirt is only for celebration, and i was feeling festive when that one didn't come apart.  It actually is pretty snappy for a 40lb bow, but it feels like you are toting a Garand rather than a bow!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 10:37:02 am »
Nice work sir!  I don't enjoy detail work either.  That is, I don't enjoy doing it myself.  I can certainly appreciate it if someone else does it.  That honey locusts is beautiful wood.  Country gave me a stave awhile back, but I blew it up.  :-[ >:(  I will try it again, but i will definitely overbuild it.   Nicely done on both bows!  Josh

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 12:15:31 pm »
Thanks Josh. I enjoyed working with it and if I  find one of those "close to perfection" type staves, I might  try honey locust again.  I thought about heating the belly on it, but decided against it.  I was taken with the appearance of the wood and just couldn't change it much.  I put a little spar urethane on it and that was it.  I am sure that a really good bow is definitely possible with h l.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi