Author Topic: Weird limb torque...help!  (Read 4127 times)

MtDent

Re: Weird limb torque...help!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 01:03:33 am »
I have some old jeans...but no hide or any kind of backing that's ready to be used. Would this old denim work?

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:52 am »
No on the denim, I mean, you could use it- it would be done same as with silk/linen- but cotton is no good for bow backing, too much stretch to offer much protection.  Go to a thrift store and get some cheap old silk ties, or even a silk dress.  Silk is my go-to for when I am unsure of the bow's back (iffy grain especially).  If you are not sure something is silk, test burn a strand with a lighter- if it stinks a bit like burnt hair, its silk.  If it curls up and smells plasticky?- its likely a poly blend.

I prefer to get silk from things other than ties, since alot of ties are bias cut, which is the direction in silk fabric that "gives" the most.  It is more preferable to get your length cut with the direction of least stretch (you can determine this by pulling the fabric in different directions).

Mike

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:10 am »
Sorry about your blow up,I don't know much about board bows but that board looked bad to me from the start,I would have been very surprised if it stayed together even with backing. :) Run off is like violating the back of a stave bow,maybe worse. :) Better luck on your next one. Practice is a good thing,but I would never practice on a piece of wood I was sure was going to fail. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

MtDent

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 12:38:43 pm »
Thanks Mike. We have a lot of old clothes that have to be gotten rid of at some point so maybe I can rummage through them and steal something out of them.

Pappy, I had bought two boards and only after the fact had I realized that they had bad grain (seeing as I didn't really know what I was looking for). So I decided to go ahead with it anyway. I have an Osage board now (that probably has just as bad grain) so I'm going to take some precautions with this one.