Author Topic: Stemmed Point  (Read 2899 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Stemmed Point
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:18 pm »
George i was eyeballing that drum sander. How do you like that? Do you use it when making? bows

Absolutely, about 75% of my tillering is done on the oscillating spindle sander.  However, it is heartless if you get impatient.  It's also easy to put uneven pressure on the limb and induce twist when you don't want to.  But, it is the best handle shaping tool ever.  It came with about 6 different drum diameters.  I only use about 3.

Great Point G.  You really kept the length on that spall. dp

I had to lose about a half inch off the back of the spall that was just too bent.  Other than that I did well on the length, but not so well on the width.  I need to learn to leave steps alone and work someplace else, at least until I can think clearly, but I get frustrated and by the time I get it cleaned up I've lost more width than I should have.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline chertle

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 11:19:51 am »
George! You did a great job on that point! It is nice to see such a beautiful point come from a rock that shape! I keep thinking Tracy is just giving me stuff to get rid of it and not actually a spall I can do something with!! I will work harder at turning out those points! I am home now and trying to fight the heat to get back in the pit! Thanks for all the pics for me while I was away! I will see if I can give you some pics in return ;) your granddaughter is beautiful as well.......what a great family!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 11:42:30 am »
Thanks Leslie.  This is a place where there is crossover from bow building and that helped me.  In the same way we "see" a bow in the stave before we begin we "see" a point in the middle of a crooked spall.  Then the plan is to remove the stone that isn't in the point.  I knew before I started that I'd lose at least half an inch off the base because it was too thin to bring it up to the level of the point centerline.  Of course, just because I can imagine the point doesn't mean I can execute getting it done.  But, it is cool when it works out like this one.

Love to see some pictures, gonna try to take some as well. :)

George
St Paul, TX