Author Topic: I hate to ask this  (Read 4832 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: I hate to ask this
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 04:29:12 pm »
i like to size the back, thin some glue and brush it on, soak the cloth in the thined glue, another coat of unthined glue on bow back and place cloth, stretch it tight, that's just how i do it though, Bub

Same here pretty much.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:59 pm »
and i can cut the fabric up in individual peices right and add them on because i wouldn't be able to find a continuous length of 60-70 inches. So it would still protect the back if i add them in like 10 inch increments and wrap over the fabric peices?

I went to a place called Vapors Thrift and couldnt find hardly any linen. Found like one pair of pants that was like 56% linen and the rest was something like argon or something spelled like that. Maybe i can find a goodwill and look there. idk.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »
you should be able to get a long enough piece to just splice at the handle, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »
I've backed with silk, linen and camo tape(the kind for gun wrapping).  I just do like they say and saturate it with tb3.  And splice it at the handle if need be.

Good luck with your bow!
Kevin

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:02:26 pm »
All the time and money you're spending on finding a fabric, you could spend on proper board selection instead! A STRAIGHT grained board of red oak (/maple/ash/hickory/elm) really doesn't need a backing. And if it does need a backing, a cotton jeans will work to some extend but is inferior to linen or silk. You can overlap fabric in the handle, but the length must be one whole limb at least.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:44 pm »
i found a 1/2 yard of linen at hobby lobby for 6 dollars. my thoughts were, "This is only 3 feet" lol. Forgot i'm cutting it so i can cut around the fabric until i have a length i want.

Cut the board to 60 inches. I decided i'd make a bendy handle short bow backed with linen.Roughly 1 1/4 inches wide, pulling roughly 45#@28. I say roughly because i have no tillering device available and don't use measurements and therefore will have to tiller this one by feel and eye. Maybe using a mirror if i can. All i got is an axe, rasp, and knife. Only thing bothering me is how to get rid of the sharp edges without touching the back of the bow.

Going to start the backing after i get the width of the bow the way i want it. Will post pictures of the process in a day or two.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 01:50:29 pm »
Once you have it roughly to where you want it you can use a scraper to round the corners.  You could use your knife to do that also.  Don't cut, scrape.  If you do a search you'll find that a lot of things can be used as a scraper.  I saw one of the guys on here uses a half of a pair of scissors.  I use my pocket knife sometimes but I prefer a good cabinet scraper.  Just keep that sharp and it works amazingly well.  I think I picked up a set of scrapers on Amazon for $10.  Use them all the time.  Look in the How-To/Build Along section.  I know there is a thread on scrapers and i think there is one that explains how to sharpen your scraper.

You can round the edges of the back.  Matter of fact that is recommended.  Not a lot, just to take the sharp edge away so the transition is smooth.  So maybe around 1/8th of an inch.  Keep it smooth, use some sandpaper on the edge if you gouge it any.  That'll help keep a splinter from lifting.  I think someone already told you too but don't cut your nocks across the back unless you glue on tip overlays.
Kevin