Author Topic: Glue laminations and heat  (Read 2119 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Glue laminations and heat
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:54:42 pm »
I know I have seen posts related to this, but I'm not sure I have ever seen it specifically addressed. I did a Hickory backed Ipe bow and was planning on doing another 100 shots this weekend. With the 100+degree days we are having, I am a little nervous about continuous shooting in the heat. When I did the glue up I did so in 70+ degree temperatures naturally with no artificial heat source and used TB3. I also allowed the glue plenty of time to completely cure before I started working on it. The bow shoots great, so far, with no signs of delaminating after 100+ shots. Once the glue cures, are there dangers to the glue while shooting in extreme heat?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Glue laminations and heat
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:58:35 pm »
I think it'd take putting the bow in a car parked in the sun with the windows up before you'd reach the temps needed to affect the glue.  Shooting outside should be no problem.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:11:07 am »
TB glues will break down at 150deg(F). As long as you don't have your bow in direct sunlight you should be OK.  If the bow feels physically hot to the touch I wouldn't brace it until it had plenty of time to cool down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:32:47 am »
You are more manly than I, Lesken.  When I see 100+F days in the forecast I don't make plans for shooting, I crank up the A/C and crack open a mt. dew!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:59:48 am »
Whew! I was hoping it would be OK. Thanks for the feedback!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:35:48 pm »
You will see how much heat it takes to soften the glue with the use of a heat gun once you have tried to take the backing off a bow glued up with TB3
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 02:39:35 pm »
That's how I found out the release temp, Marc. I called the TB folks and asked. I was removing a diseased hickory backing from an osage stave. It worked but was not that easy to do. I was using a wood chisel and a heat gun. Once I got one end to pry loose it came a bit easier.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC