Author Topic: Draw knife find  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Draw knife find
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:55:35 am »
Was looking at draw knifes on an on-line auction,saw a little draw knife,narrow and a six inch wide blade. I thought "Wow", It spoke to me. I bid on it,the next week it arrived from Connecticut. I took it in hand "Wow" !  Buffed off a bit of rust and found a makers mark. I then shaved down some wood with it and ,Yep !..."Wow"!
Made by John Sellers and sons,Sheffield,England. It's pretty old and very light. Sharp.  I have found a new "Must use" tool for reducing staves,following rings.  Anyone familiar with this Maker ?  Pictures .
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Draw knife find
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:44:10 am »
That looks really good.
Anything that old made in Sheffield is garanteed to be good steel.
Dunno if you know but Sheffield United football (soccer) team are know as 'The Blades'  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:18:43 am »
Cool find...Congrats!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:43:01 am »
Cool little knife. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline darwin

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:09:25 am »
that is a pretty cool draw knife i just found an old myself on an auction should arrive anyday

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:55:36 am »
I can't seem to walk away from some of the drawkives I find at the local flea market, I picked one up for $6 yesterday. It will need need handles but the blade is good.

Anybody know where to find new metal hardware for drawknife handles? I have a lathe and plan to make some exotic wood handles  for it and another drawknife I picked up at the same fleamarket recently.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »
I can't seem to walk away from some of the drawkives I find at the local flea market, I picked one up for $6 yesterday. It will need need handles but the blade is good.

Anybody know where to find new metal hardware for drawknife handles? I have a lathe and plan to make some exotic wood handles  for it and another drawknife I picked up at the same fleamarket recently.

how bout some copper pipe fittings?
have used em on other knives.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »
I use copper fittings on file handles, just trying to make this one more like it as when it was new.