Author Topic: spraying for bugs  (Read 1558 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
spraying for bugs
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:08:07 pm »
I finally got my new bandsaw, last week and decided to cut some of the crepe myrtle staves down some so they can dry faster. I have several staves standing in the corner of my garage/shop. When I picked on up it had a lot of ants on it. I never noticed them before. I had sealed the ends with shellac after I cut them, but didn't spray them with insecticide. I guess I didn't think it was necessary for slick bark trees. Do I need to spray them....and if so, what would be the best for indoor storage?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: spraying for bugs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:51 pm »
Ants generally aren't a problem. Carpenter ants only eat  bad wood I think. Ants will actually attack grubs in a stave.    Generally it is either grubs or powder post beetles you have to worry about.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:41:49 pm »
Carpentar ants don't eat wood at all, they remove wood from trees, your house..ect. to make gallaries to live in. If your are seeing them in your house you have a problem most likely. To protect your staves get some borax, dump a few cups in a pump sprayer, use as hot of water as you can get, mix, spray all the wood....if they try to eat this they will die.

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:25:55 am »
These are the tiny ants...the kind attracted to sweets, like at picnics. Maybe they were attracted to the sap. The stave they were on had a split from twisting it loose from a bunch of trunks, so I cut it a little long. I sealed the end the best I could but some sap must have escaped. I sprayed a little ant killer on them, yesterday to be safe.

I don't think they are carpenter ants, Pat. Whew!

VMB, thanks for the tip on the Borax solution.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA