Author Topic: Can this be saved???  (Read 8038 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Can this be saved???
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:58:12 am »
I think you are correct that the high crown played a role in this ,but there may have been a wind shake in there that was not seen before it let loose !
I think the super glue and rawhide will take care of it  !
You did some very fine work on this piece !
enjoy it
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:30:03 pm »
I think I will do a repair along..............I have been looking at this site for a few years and don't remember many repair alongs.  I'll be working on it this weekend and will post some pics and comments.  I'm looking forward to anyone who wants to add to the discussion.  At least if it doesn't work we'll know what not to do.  I'm also planning to be at the IBO Trad @ Twin Oaks in July.  I'm hoping to find someone that is willing to sell me some skins.  If my repair holds for a few hundred shots I may want to add the skins over the rawhide , if it doesn't hold together I'll have the skins for my next bow. 

Guy, The more I think about it, when I was splitting the log into staves and roughing out the bow there were some brownish red wind checks running with the grain in the stave that I thought was removed during tillering.  But maybe not.

This repair along will be fun and a learning experience for me ........Hope I get more comments
Thanx
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 06:12:10 am »
Cool,looking forward to seeing you and the bow there,yes Gary Davis will be there and he has skins. Heck you can skin it there,the shop is always open. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:10 am »
How much crown is to much ?
That is a good ?
But if wind shakes are present the answer is just about 0

I feel confident you will win this battle and have an excellent bow to shoot for many years to come  !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 12:30:19 pm »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT BOW
 Use weted down real sinew. Afre it drys and tightens up super glue it down. Never see a sinew patch fail.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »
The first picture is after I ran the super glue in the crack at brace then unbraced and clamped with four clamps.  Its hard to see the crack so I placed the arrow where the first small break accured.  The crack didn't raise up much at brace so I don't know how much glue I got under the splinter or in the crack.  The splinter in the area of the arrow stayed down from the first patch wrap, so I'm not sure how many rings deep it is.  I hope it is only one thin ring.

The second picture is the goat rawhide I'm planning on using .......very thin stuff.  I understand that this is very good for drums.  It's really tough stuff.

My next step is to clean the bow completely of is finish, ruff up the back of the bow with course sandpaper,  add a sizing coat of glue and titebond II down the rawhide after soaking in water and toweling off the excess water.

Comments welcome I'm not doing this until Saturday morning.
Thanks
DB

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:13 pm »
Thanks Pappy
I'll look for you and Gary.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 06:35:01 am »
Do that,I had one like that a while back,i ran a small layer of sinew over it before I put the rawhide on,it is still shooting,I think I rapped it also and then covered it all in rawhide,then skins,if you don't look at the belly you wouldn't even know it was repaired.That should work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 09:30:52 pm »
Well................Had plenty of time to work on the repair the weekend.  Record breaking temps 105 Firday, 103 Yesterday and 102 today.  I've got some Osage to split into staves but it's just too hot.

Took some pic of the bow ("Maddie"), named her due to the Madagascar Ebony in the handle.  Did a wrap at the splinters and then added the rawhide.  I used Ace bandages over the rawhide, the next time I need to make sure that there are no wrinkles in the rawhide, I got a few little wrinkles by the handle.

I the bow last after a few hunderd shots I would like to add skins.  Does the rawhide dye easy??  what kind of dye should I use??  Or shoud I paint it before adding the skins?

Thanks
DB

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 09:50:48 pm »
beautifull bow
i hope the repair works for ya
way too nice to be firewood

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:24 pm »
That repair WILL work. Done a few bows that broke just like that. Just keep an eye out for chrysles and a hinge in that spot. I have noticed they can form from a break and repair like this. Your bow will survive based on repairs I have done like this. It does also help to do a wrap of thread over the break and rawhide just to make double sure it doesnt pop again.... Beautiful bow by the way...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 11:20:28 pm »
Just got back from the IBO at Twin oaks.  Shot the bow all day and have alot of arrows through it after the rawhide repair.  Got some skins from Gary Davis and I plan on working on the bow tomorrow adding the skins.  Thanks to Pappy for telling me about the skins that Gary Davis has , they are really nice.  I'll posts some pics after the skins are added.
Thanks,
 DB

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 05:25:05 pm »
Got the skins added over the rawhide, I think they look great!!  Again thanks to Pappy and Gary Davis.
I got about 200 arrows through it now with no issues.  That rawhide is really tough.  If it was't for the wraps I added over the splinter, you would never know I had a problem.
Thanks to all for their input, so far  so good.
DB

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 05:35:19 pm »
I'd say you more than "saved" that one. Really nice job!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline dwardo

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 05:40:40 pm »
That does look nice, more pics!