Author Topic: Bamboo flooring question-update!  (Read 4156 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Bamboo flooring question-update!
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »
I know there was a recent post about bamboo flooring, but I didn't want to hijack the post and have a question. I saw posted somewhere that LL had some discontinued bamboo flooring at discount prices. I happened by there today, but no luck....well as far as the discontinued stuff. When I told the guy I was looking for some of the longer bamboo planks, he shook his head and said they didn't carry those any more. Then he said the only long bamboo flooring he had was the Sufong strand bamboo on the front porch and he was about to throw it away. He said I could have it if I wanted it. He said it is the hardest stuff they have....twice as hard as oak. It had gotten rained on a couple of times, but seems in pretty good shape. I have it drying in the back of my truck. Here are a couple of pics.

Here is what I found on the internet about this product.

Twice as hard as oak, strand bamboo is an optimal choice for busy homes when durability is needed to stand up to the wear and tear of family foot traffic, active kids and even pets.

To make strand bamboo, shredded bamboo fibers are compressed under extreme heat and pressure.  This manufacturing process yields flooring that is even harder and more dense than traditional bamboo floors.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? I thought I might at least be able to cut some laminations out of it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:31:49 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Bamboo flooring question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:07 pm »
To make strand bamboo, shredded bamboo fibers are compressed under extreme heat and pressure. 
That sounds like chipboard. Chipboard, so presumably also strand bamboo, don't have the grain running in one direction. While it might be hard from an impact-point-of-view, it is not strong at all, due to the lack of unidirectional fibers. I would not use it for anything bow-related.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:50 pm »
I have some of this, though not yet tried it for a bow. This stuff is not really like chipboard as the fibres are very long and run down the board. I have found even very short sections impossible to split. It seems very strong and from the slats I've bent should be suitable for a bow, especially if backed. Not sure what the tension strength is like but compression is extremely high. Worth trying I think.
Mark in England

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »
I think Mark may be right, Darksoul. The fibers do look like they are long and run vertically with the board. I am going to cut some lams this weekend and do some bending tests and will let you know. Thanks for the comments, guys.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:36:19 am »
Hm, interesting. I've never seen this 'strand bamboo' but the "shredded fibers"-thing doesn't sound good. How does a bow made of shredded osage fiber sound to you? Sounds bad :p But if the fibers are alligned in this stuff, it might be worth a try. Let's hope the glue is up to repeated bending.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Bamboo flooring question-update
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:50:06 am »
OK, guys, I cut a 1.5" strip and did a bend test using the finished side as the back. The belly side crumbled with a significant bend. Now keep in mind that this material had gotten wet and dry as it had been stored outside, so I don't know if the failure was the result of dry rot or that the glue that holds the fibers together failed. I will do some further testing on some other pieces before I make a final decision and let you know.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bamboo flooring question-update!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:47:06 pm »
Kenny,

Hello,not intending to hijack this thread bamboo flooring has been used for bows quite a while as I'm sure you already suspected.I have seen it with a bamboo lamination full length for the back.Mostly made as a laminated bow as a core with a glued on 12" to 18" handle in a reflex deflex design,but I'm sure other designs are possible.Its drawback to my fiberglass bow making friends is that it is'nt very colorful as they like to put bloodwood,cocobolo,and osage in the handle for accent color.The flooring I have here is strips of bamboo 1/8" wide app. glued together 3/8" thick.A person can see the nodes on top and bottom.The glue lines run the length of the board and are used as the tension and compression surface of a bow.Even made arrow shafts from it and put the glue lines perpendicular to the strike plate on the bow.The same way that a bow is bent.To me it is no better than osage or hickory as a core whatsoever as far as performance.But if the price was right for your flooring you've got a windfall bunch of bow making material.Maybe yours is different also or not the same as what I've seen.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed