Author Topic: Snappers and Snakeskins  (Read 5810 times)

Offline johnston

Snappers and Snakeskins
« on: June 24, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »
Have been catching snappers out of the pond mainly cause we have too many but also
cause I like 'em fried. I was never taught nor have I ever seen the proper way to clean
a turtle. My method is a lot like work and I seem to get different looking pieces out of
each one I do. Anybody know a "tried and true" method?

Also been killing snakes. Ma-in-law is 81 and lives alone 'cept for an ugly ass cat and
she saw a couple snakes in the garden and flower beds. So far I have killed 7 all copperheads.
Got them in the freezer and was wondering about the best way to skin and dry. It seems simple
but I can screw up most anything. How do you guys do it.
Thanks,

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snappers and Snakeskins
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »
Lane, the first thing to do is cut the heads off and bury them deep. Even a dead snake or just its head can poison you if a fang pricks your skin.
  Cut down the belly from where the head was to the vent ald peel the skin off like a banana. When done use a tea spoon to scrape off the fat and excess tissue then tack(I use a staple gun) the skins to a board, flesh side out and place in direct sunlight. If it is hot and dry enough only a few hours are needed. If not give it a few days. Be sure to put the stretched skins where critters can't get to them. Once dry(you'll know) remove from the board, roll them up and place them in a baggie for storage.
  I've eaten snappers but I can't help you with the cleaning part!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:43:08 pm »
Definitely keep those dried skins up and away from the ugly ass cat and any dogs of various levels of pulchritude.  My old Scully once ate a 5' bullsnake skin and the gaseous emissions over the next two days were deadlier than the pointy end of any copperhead!!!     :o
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »
Turtles are a bear to clean, been years since the last one.  I doubt I'm better than you as I think I recall trying a different approach each time.  Sorry I can't help.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 12:47:16 am »
Man you have a nice haul of copperheads.. Do as Pat said with the heads.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:55:14 am »
I just have on ething to add (and Im suprised nobody has said it yet). After placing the skins inthe bag take them to the post office and address them to me. 7 copperhead skins is way to many for any one person to have, so I am willing to help out!  >:D

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 06:46:56 pm »
Thanks everyone...was sure hoping someone could help me out with the cooter cleaning ...

Ma-in-law had a close call with a snake just today. She was checking out a flowerbed, saw a
snake and did a fast 180 right into a pine tree. Pore old girl is fine now but I doubt that broom
will ever fly again.

Lane

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »
   There ONE BIG THING TO DO that makes them a breeze with a sharp knife. I CAUGHT, CLEANED  dozzens and had 2 cousins that sold turtle meat to restrants for 8 or 10 years. tHEY CAUGHT 100'S OF POUNDS A YEAR.
  It's simple heat up a pot to a boil. Big enough to dip the turle in. PUT HIM IN , LEAVE HIM LONG ENOUGH THAT THE OUTER SKIN ,MUD, SKUM COMES OFF WITH A PINCH. Flib him up on his shell (back)This SKULLING makes the seam around his upper shell and the bottom shells solf.  fIRST Take a sharp knife cut around the seams that bonds the leg skin to the bottom shell first. Next cut the seam that holds the upper to the bottem shell  together.
  Next I shin off the heavey leg skin. 7 Different kinds of meat in a turtle.
  My favoret way ti fix them is BQ (SWEAT BABY RAYS) THEM IN A COOKING BAG ON 2OO% FOR A FEW HOURS (TO THEY FALLOFF THE BONE).
  I fish a lot of bass ponds and as soon as I see one I set some milk jugs.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DGF

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 04:31:35 am »
Ma-in-law had a close call with a snake just today. She was checking out a flowerbed, saw a
snake and did a fast 180 right into a pine tree. Pore old girl is fine now but I doubt that broom
will ever fly again.

Lane

That right there is funny!

I have no experience with turtles but have heard it's best to keep the turtles alive in a tub of fresh water for a few days, replacing the old water with new as it dirties. I've been told it aides in the taste.

Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:29:05 am »
  I caught lots of turles in big clear moveing spring water streams. I never really tryed to see. But I always thought they tasted the same.
  I had a friend where we grew up his dad was a black smith he did the turtle thing alot. He take turtles he caught put them in a slop barrel for a month or 2 or even 3. He said feeding them non wild food changes their taste.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:08:15 pm »
That's what my grandma had us do too.  I'd chuck them in a metal stock tank for a couple weeks and would shoot sparrows with the pellet gun to feed them.  They tasted a lot better that way...I know because we ate one right after we caught it once and it was terrible.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:17 am »
One thing too about those turtles.If your ambitious enough.The skin on the neck and around the legs kept intac stapled flat and fleshed is really supposed to make some very good bow string.Tough,tough,tough.Cut in strips an inch wide and flemish twisted.My solution for butchering turtles is just a very thick stiff sharp blade and however I get er done is good enough.I've always tried to leave the bottom shell on.Made a canteen once.Filled in the holes with sewn rawhide and glazed the inside with beeswax.Worked great.Lot of work though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:08 am »
I'm on the same page with Stringman about those snake skins.PM me about any type of trade you would want to do.Those copperheads are beautiful IMO.LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:58 pm »
When I was a little boy we'd have "turtle cleanings" at my grandaddys house about twice a year.  We'd clean 50-75 at a time!  No easy way to do it. Grandpa had 5 sons and a bunch of us grandkids and everybody had a different approach.  I cleaned one a couple years ago and for what meat I got...it wasn't worth it!
 In the late spring they'll be full of eggs that look like yellow paint balls. Give em a day or so to get ripe and bomb your sisters >:D Or...chase em around the house with a handfull of beating turtle hearts!!! Ahhh....the good old days!
 Don't forget to take some side cutters and snip away the plate of bone running down the center of the shell on the inside. The strips of meat under there are GOOOOD. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline johnston

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:27 pm »
Just gotta say how much I appreciate the help. I have gotten some great stuff here and in emails that makes me
anxious to set the hooks next night off. Will try to get pics but it'll just be me and a 20 lb turtle in the boat so I
ain't making no promises. But if I catch a big one it's on.

Lane