Author Topic: Robinia  (Read 5023 times)

Offline LJB

Robinia
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »
Hi there!

So I have been reading and learning a lot here at PA. First off all, thanks guys, for posting your bow's, your techniques and experiences. This board is a great help for beginning (and experienced, witch i am not) bowyers.

Here are some pics of the first piece of wood that survived my attempts to make a bow out of it (I broke 2 pieces of Elderberry before...).
It is Black Locust, messures 68" nock to nock:

@ brace hight:

It pulls 55# @ 28":

Some character, lil snaky:

String position:

Some leather for nice gripp:

the Sappwood was left at the nocks, i like the different colors also some Austriche sinew with hidegleu to protect this crack:

And i also made some arrows for this bow:

It was polished with a glass bottle then finished with boiled linnseedoil.
I had some great online help from the german board FC. Thanks guys ;)

Best regards,

Leo

Offline Matt A

Re: Robinia
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »
beauty

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 01:48:16 pm »
Congratulations on your first successful bow and for doing so well with locust(a wood I have problems with  ;D ). It is obvious that you took your time and the results show.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:29:06 pm »
looks good however u best get the super glue out i see a good ol crack right there at the tip in ur pic with the sap wood n noks  brock

Offline LJB

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:51:03 pm »
Thanks guys!

Dont you think the sinew wraps keeping the crack in place? I don really worry about the crack anymore, it stays right where it is since i started working on this Stave. The bow threw several 100 arrows by now. It hast little less than 1" of sett, almost no Stringfollow and no crysals (yet ;) ).

See you, Leo

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:25:03 pm »
Very cool bow. the sapwood nocks are nice.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:52 pm »
Nice job. LJB. Well done for an early bow, for sure!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 04:40:05 pm »
If properly applied that sinew will lock down those cracks nice and tight!  A little superglue would just be added insurance, easy enough to do and not very expensive. 

I am really loving the sapwood nocks.  I almost called them "overlays", but that would not be correct since they are not added to the bow, but simply left in place.  I have a chunk of mulberry with sapwood still in place, I will remember your nocks when I build that bow!!!

There is wonderful character in those limbs.  Not an easy tillering job, but you have done a wonderful job, LJB.  You have a bow you can be proud of!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »
Awesome. I love how well balanced the limbs look at full draw even though the tip has a little reflex on the lower limb. Those tips are sweet with the sapwood left there. Can't wait to see more bows from you. Keep it up!

Offline LJB

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 06:08:14 pm »
Thanks a lot for all that positive feedback guys!

Ok, I will spent some super glue on the crack, just to be sure. Ötzi probably would use it as well if he got it ;)

Tillering it was not easy, the string was not centered when i first braced it, the handle was twisting in my hand when i pulled it  :o
But he, with some patience, lots of thinking and a change of mind it turned out realy good  ;D
I am so happy with this bow, it is a nice shooter as well.

Thanks again!

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 06:26:56 pm »
Very nice bow. Nice character and beautiful tiller.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 06:36:59 pm »
That sir is a fine job on a not so easy stick !!
Cool tips too !!
Have fun!
 Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 06:54:46 pm »
Nice work and awesome looking bow you got there!I like those tips and character!Hammertime

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 11:27:46 pm »
Looks real nice, all around good job you did there. Black locust is sometimes difficult to tiller properly but you did a fine job on that one. You'll be shooting that for a long time LJB, enjoy it and congrats.
  Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:56:17 pm »
Very nice!!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.