Author Topic: Re: Marcela's (and Harmony's) Bows  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Marcela's Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:01 pm »
Good thing going on there with you and the grandkids, way to go George. As far as girls and bows go my four daughters all shot bows that dad made from salvaged osage fence post from the time they were about 8 until about age 15. Great memories from shooting together.  Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 10:57:58 pm »
What are you going to do when the grandkids are back home?  Hang around elementary schools with a drawknife and a stave?

"Hey kid, Kid!  Come 'ere.  It's free, just a taste.  It won't hurt you to just try it!  C'mon!"

George Stoneberg, convicted bowyer and stave dealer!  Good work, sir.  The look of pure joy on that lovely girl's face says it all, buddy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »
Great memory making and pics George.. Nice save on the skin too :laugh: Marcela's face says it all :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Deo

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:07 am »
Way to pass it on. I cant wait to help my daughter make a bow of he own someday, she is only four.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 03:25:28 am »
Thanks all.  We have 2 daughters.  When they were young I desperately wanted them to shoot and hunt with me.  The oldest one was our little lady.  She did a little archery but quickly lost interest.  She never hunted with me, though I tried hard to get her to.  She did sit in a tree stand once with me deer hunting and read a book the whole time.  A button buck came in, she saw it first, warned me and then greatly enjoyed it as I tried to shoot him though he'd spotted us in the tree stands.  He dodged 3 arrows before running off.  She had a great time, but never saw the need to go again.  Music was the thing we did together and I have wonderful memories of singing together.

The younger one was my shooting buddy for several years, starting at about age 8 until she discovered boys at about 16.  It was a wonderful time.  She was a serious 3D and target shooter through some of that and we traveled to the IBO worlds in WV the year she turned 12.  She killed a deer when she was 15, but it's the only one.  She now has 2 daughters of her own.

Marcela is the oldest daughter of our older daughter.

I say all that to say this.  Your kids may or may not shoot and/or hunt with you.  In my experience the harder you try to get them to like it, the less likely they will.  My advice is to be patient, be ready when they want to shoot/build, and above all, let them have fun.  I botched it with one and did better the second time.  I'm letting Marcela go at her own pace.  When she wants to work we do.  When she wants to swim we do.  She says we're going hog hunting and if she really wants to we will.  I want her to have a great time and remember this summer long after I'm gone.  To borrow from Pappy, Life is Good!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 04:35:16 am »
Damn, you've put a lump in my throat now :).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Marcela's (and Harmony's) Bows
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 02:57:35 pm »
Marcela is gone camping, so Harmony picked out a stave:

She's not as strong as Marcela, but her draw knife technique is already excellent.

The day turned hot early.  Even with the fan on us it was stifling.  Harmony opted for the pool where she struggles to touch bottom.

While she was swimming I chased a growth ring for her and gave the back a quick coat of shellac.

The bow has a challenge though, some weather damage that goes clear through the limb...

I think I'll have Grandma and Harmony pick out a nice backing from Grandma's quilting stash.  I suspect it'll be something with princess's on it or at the very least something pink and purple. ;D

George

St Paul, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 03:14:29 pm »
I've worked some of yer straight ::) yeller wood....it'll make her a fine bow. Standing in that chair is priceless (even though grandma's gonna have a kitten) cause yer lettin her play with "sharp stuff".  My grandaughter's liked to "help" fillet fish (and poke the odd eye-ball) and see which ones ones was boys and girls. Now they are growed and grandpa's a vague memory, what with tryin to compete with sideways hats and tight jeans, and all.

I respect you for having the foresight to enjoy the crap out of 'em right now, aint enough money to buy them memories....selfish, eh?
rich

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 03:21:14 pm »
Priceless pics George!!! Just priceless..  I hear there's no greater joy than grand kids..  :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »
Yea Rich, this isn't particularly straight, and full of knots.  At least all the bends I'll make are up and down and not sideways. ;)  We have the first bend cooling as I type.  That limb is gonna have about a 10" recurve that'll have to be reduced a touch.  I think it'll take 4 heatings, the first of which is hopefully done.  If I don't go fishing or out to the hog lease to put up a feeder we might just get her straightened out today.  This bow only has to pull about 20lbs so the cracks don't bother me very much.  I'll probably fill them with epoxy and sawdust.

I only get to see these 3 kids on Skype and then every 3 years when they come back to the states.  Kind-a feel like I have to pack as much special time into what little time there is.  In 6 weeks they'll be gone to the other grandparents that are impatiently waiting for their turn.  And yes Cip, there is a joy even beyond parenthood with grandchildren.  They do wear me out though. ???

Yes Rich, what is it about kids and eyeballs????  Laura would poke the eyes of every 3d target we shot (when I was pulling arrows).  I'd forgotten about that.

George
St Paul, TX