Author Topic: ash board bow  (Read 2662 times)

Offline danny f

ash board bow
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:44 pm »
hi all, i have more or less completed my second bow, its sister stave from a piece of ash board. it is 55 pound at 28". i have put a yew riser, and yew and hawthorn tip overlays, the bow is finished with a few coats of medium brown wax polished up with fine wire wool. the pics arent great as its not stopped raining for 2 days. i will try and get a full draw and unbraced shot tomorrow. thanks for looking.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: ash board bow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:54:27 pm »
Really even tiller! Good job.  Looks like there are some grain runoffs.  Is it pretty tight grained ash?

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline danny f

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 05:58:56 pm »
cheers, this bow is an edge grain bow. the grain runs very straight and tight  down the back of the bow. i will try to get better pics tomorrow if this rain ever stops. :(

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:55:28 pm »
Gotcha.  I dig the overlays as well.  Been thinking about using yew overlays on a piece of plumb I'm working on.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »
Dang Danny, your really addicted now! That's a fine bow, great bend, nice tips. Rossfactor, yew would be a good color for the inner layers of a multi layer overlay but it's much too soft for the final layer (your plum is much harder). I have used cut-offs of ocean spray for tip overlays. It's not extremely pretty but they don't call it ironwood for nothing.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:52:07 am »
Nice job, Danny. I like those tips!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:33:46 am »
very nice tiller  on that.  should make for a smooth shooter
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:45:11 am »
That is a fine looking bow.Does it take any set ? I'd say you got that tiller spot on.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:54:38 am »
You got it now....  there should be some sort of bowyer's anonymous group near you, but there isn't.....  That is a good looking bow.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline danny f

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:40:23 pm »
thanks everyone. yes  the bow has taken about 2" of set. i only have a couple of carbon arrows at the moment, and i think they are to light for the bow as they dont fly well but they definately go fast. :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »
Darn nice for a second bow. I would have no problem buying a bow like that, and if I didn't know it, I would never think it was only the second bow someone had ever made. Very nice job!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair