Author Topic: Tiller check... UPDATE #3 !!!!!  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Tiller check... UPDATE #3 !!!!!
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:35 pm »
Hi guys wanted to get some input on this bow... the waves due to knots are giving me a headache... do you think I am ready for a low brace? Mid limbs and tips look stiff because of a knot than a slight reflex in those areas.. slight natural twist in both limbs.. also deflex is all natural, it has taken no set so far... I want to get about a 3" brace on it now.. is it ready? I am also going to narrow the tips once i get to first brace which will make them bend a bit more... Input would be great! Thanks.

Jon
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:48:06 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline Dictionary

Re: To brace or not to brace... tis the question...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:41 pm »
i'd take more wood off towards the outer limbs and tips first because the handle area and inner limbs are doing all the bending. Then i'd go to brace. But what the hell do i know  >:D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »
  I would also get the mid limb bending a bit more, I would not take any more wood off the center of the bow, bending too much there allready.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:02:48 pm »
I agree with these guys, and I'd shorten that long string so it's the exact length of the bow.  Even if there are knots mid-limb, you need to get more bend out there, either through the knots or on either side of them.  With osage, you can usually  bend through a knot. Not sure what kind of wood it is.

George
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:07:19 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »
I usually go to a low brace once I have 8" or so of tip movement and evrything looks good.
  Get those mid limbs bending a bit more than brac it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:46:27 pm »
Update!! # 1

they are working more now i think... will take a little more off the outer third of both limbs then brace? does that sound good?

Jon
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:49:55 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: To brace or not to brace... tis the question... UPDATE #1 !!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:09:47 pm »
Right midlimb is (still) too flat. You need to scrape it more to match the left limb. Once that right limb matches the left limb, you can brace it. Doesn't take much...The right midlimb also looks significantly thicker than the left midlimb. Could be the picture, but please check with a caliper.

You still haven't mentioned the wood species. Furthermore, the final tiller depends on the width of the bow. That means we will have to see the front profile picture to see if the tiller matches the width profile.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »
The wood is a thin belly split from hickory... 1 5/16" wide from handle to midlimb then taper to half in tips... the right limb has some natural prop twist which makes it look thicker than the right... I do agree it looks stiff and will scrap some there and post another pic... Only shooting for 30# or so on this bow because of how thin it was to start... anyone else have input?

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:25:18 pm »
Yup..after you get it evened out and before ya brace it,i wood temper it and put a lil reflex in it...then finish tiller it out after that.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
If the tips are coming back past brace height, then brace it...
Next!
Del
(In my ever so 'umble opinion)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 07:30:27 am »
What Del said.  ;) Looking good. :) Looking forward to seeing how this goes,haven't had much for heart wood Hickory,what I have tried was pretty
brittle,should be tough,it seems to be very springy wood to work with. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
here is update number two... 2 1/2" brace... The top limb is on the right in this pic not the left as in previous pictures...  tree is slanted slightly but you get the idea... My next planed step is to heat treat and add two inches of reflex to the bow... I will post more pics on sunday after wood has time to rehydrate! still no visible set besides natural deflex in one limb... input is gladly welcome!!!

Jon
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:51:40 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline Badger

Re: To brace or not to brace... UPDATE #2 !!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »
Shapiong up nicely.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 05:39:16 pm »
thank you... have 8 more inches to go though..

Jon
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:48:31 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »
Normally, I would recommend you to go to a full brace height now. Since it's looking really good! But if you plan on heat treating the belly, it would be best to do that first. So I thin you're on the right way. Keep going!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286