Author Topic: Ash tiller question  (Read 1941 times)

Offline apollinaire

Ash tiller question
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:35:51 am »
Hello
I recently made an ash bow.
Here is a picture of the final tiller after shooting it for a while.

The bottom limb (left) is quite alright I think, but the right one clearly isn't.
Could I fix the parts that bend too much by fire hardening them? The wood is still quite wet.

Here are some more pictures:

Offline randman

Re: Ash tiller question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:49 am »
Seriously, is this for real ??? :-\ This gives the term character bow a whole new meaning ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:54:13 am »
Not real sure what you want to know  :-\ looks like a pretty good mess,first you need to let it dry,I would clamp it to something straight and put it in a dry place for a while,next you really need to clean up all the tool marks,nothing wrong with
roughing one out with an ax,which it looks like you did but you need to clean it up after you have done that.  :)Other than that I would say no to the fire harden,
just let it dry and re tiller. :) If it holds in the fard where you cut the handle out you will be lucky. Just a question,why didn't you just leave the back flat all the way through the handle area ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline apollinaire

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:05:31 am »
Thank you, that's very helpful. i'll tie it to a wooden board and put some weight on it.
I think I get what you mean for the handle part. I shouldn't have cut it out that way, it would've been much easier.

I know it's not a pretty sight, but it shoots fairly well and I learned a lot while making it. Hopefully my next bow will be better.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:05:54 am »
Where to begin  ???

Your wood is waaaaaay to wet,and its obvious by the massive set and string follow it took.

Why did you cut into the back like that? I think the only reason it hasnt broke is because its dripping wet wood.....not sure if that piece is worth saving....id cut some more,and LET IT SEASON first before bending it seriously.

As far as tiller the left limb has a hinge mid limb,then its flat the rest of the way out....the right limb is bending to hard just past the handle,and beding more than the left is

Try doing some more research and reading and start over is my suggestion

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:59:44 pm »
Looks a lot like my first bow.   ;) Lot of good info out there.  George's website is a good starting point http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html

If your serious pick up the bowyers bible series.  Also just like you when I started I was trying to work with green wood, do yourself a favor and pick up some red oak from home depot.  You'll have to sort through a huge stack to find one with good grain.  If you have access cut some wood now, rough it and couple months from now you'll be ready to rock.  This forum has a lot of good info and people willing to help.  Happy bow making.