Author Topic: Boiling Bow Staves?  (Read 8304 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Boiling Bow Staves?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »
After one hour, my test results are as follows.

Group A:
Steamed stick has lost 8.5% of its weight.
Control stick has lost only 2.9%.

Group B:
Steamed stick has lost 8.7% of its weight.
Control stick has lost 4% of its weight.

So for the first hour after a green piece of wood has been steamed, it's drying rate is approximately doubled. This would explain why staves are in such danger of checking shortly after steaming. I will continue to monitor the weights, but the short term evidence is pretty clear. Steaming hastens the drying process significantly for green wood, at least over a short period of time.

My guess is that the drying rate for the steamed specimens will eventually stabilize and return to a natural drying rate. But I think that steaming is a good kickstart to knock a good chunk of that moisture out right off the bat.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 07:02:00 pm »
Gary Davis also mentions on the DVD that he Liberally coats his staves with Varnish,
or Clear Polly or what ever he is currently using Before steaming to help cut down on negative effects of the steam on the wood.

On a side note he also mentioned in passing, on the video, that Tung Oil Might work, but only if enough coats were applied to build up a thick finish,
10 to 20 coats or maybe more... not his first choice.

I have used Tung Oil for steaming staves, Osage and Dogwood.
Seems to work okay, but the prep time to get the needed thickness of finish is too long for my taste.
Think I'll be using Varnish or Clear Poly in the future.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline DLH

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:44:08 pm »
I think im gonna give it a try guys atleast give it a try anyways take a good fire to get that much water boiling.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:33:59 pm »
After 24 hours, the test specimens show very little difference in % weight loss. So it appears that while steaming does initially lower that moisture content, an air drying piece of similar dimensions will catch up to it long before either piece reaches equilibrium.

So it appears that steaming will not significantly change the overall drying time. I admit my testing population is probably too small to draw an absolutely certain conclusion, but I am confident that my results are accurate.

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »
I don't know if I read over a piece of the conversation, but how often do your guys' bows crack after steaming tips or something? Was going to try my first reflex on this persimmon stave I've just finished drying, but I don't want to ruin it.

On a related note, does anyone have a walkthrough for steam-bending wood, so i do it right the first time.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.