Author Topic: Saw Fred Bear Collection Today.  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Saw Fred Bear Collection Today.
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:06 pm »
So I learned that the local Bass Pro Shops has aquired the Fred Bear personal collection.  I didn't know it was three bows, two of which which look like currently available models.  However there was a lovely flat bow primitive model at the top of the rack.  It had been drilled out and screwed to the rack  :-\. . . mounted over a door way so I couldn't get a great view of it.  But I get the idea.  It's inspired me to make one after it.  Only in my favorite materials.

Oh I got a job today.  So my bow making will take a back seat.  Now where near the volume of bows produced from now on.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Saw Fred Bear Collection Today.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:27 pm »
Congrats on the job.

Any chance you can get the name of the fool that put screws thru that bow?  I got a new jack handle I wanna test out for durability.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:19:06 am »
I dunno.  the kid at the counter seemd dumbfounded that they screwed it down over a door so it's hardly seen with a few grainy Fred Bear pics.  I'm gonna make a Scotified version of it.  I think It's Yew with some sort of dark wood handle section.  62" and pretty narrow. Shoot of the hand with some inlay at the arrow pass.

He said his dad makes self bows from Osage in south east Iowa.  Who might that be?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:00:08 am »
I was lucky to tour the entire collection before it went to Bass Pro. The museum was two stories and it was an awsome collection. I shot two rolls of film back when we used real cameras.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:24 am »
Nice,

Remember a 60 something" long Yew flat bow with a dark wood riser, shoot off the handle with some sord or darker inlaid circle at the arrow pass with Grey handle wrap and red accent thread?  Some sort of diamond shape thing applied tothe belly?