Author Topic: Bamboo with stone tips  (Read 4163 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Bamboo with stone tips
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:03:16 pm »
Recently i discovered a patch of switch cane growing next to a creek near my house. most of them are ten feet or higher and bigger around than my finger. I've been looking for a traditional way to make arrows out of them, but i can't find any walkthroughs that don't use modern precision equipment. I've also been looking for some decent flint, but im stuck cracking sedimentary rocks instead. Will those work?
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Bamboo with stone tips
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:42:00 pm »
LE, not sure about the switch cane arrows, but maybe you can find some river cane that works great. I checked your profile and you are in Georgia. Lots of good rock in Georgia, maybe just not close to you. Flint River is suppose to have good rock all along its length. I haven't made a trip yet, so it's just legend to me.
Native Americans traded for material from all over, so it is a correct and natural thing to trade or procure rock and arrow material from other areas.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:24:33 am »
River cane is the thick kind, at least I think it is. I'll see if I can barter something for the flint. From Tennessee originally, and there was never any shortage of flint there, so maybe i can make a trick back home. Thanks for the info, btw.

Still does anyone know of a place I can get a play by play of making good bamboo arrows?
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:17:06 am »
Switch cane makes great arrows. Take a 3/8" open end wrench with you as a thickness guage. Cut the canes long and bundle them together for about a month. You can hand straighten them every other day or so and bundle them back up or heat straighten them after they dry.
  Also be sure you cut only mature culms(canes). If they have a paper sheath at the node don't cut them. Only cut culms that have lost the sheath or it is deteriorating. Then you know you get mature culms.
 You don't need any modern tools to make accurate shooting cane arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:06 am »
This video is fascinating and I've watched it many times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zh3IISBXSU&feature=related

If you want to find a video that shows how to make arrows with modern precision equipment, I don't think you'll find one.  Plenty of vids out there on basic bamboo arrows, though.

As for knapping sedimentary rock, spare yourself the misery and get some high quality TN chert.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline drwilson

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:19:22 am »
L.E. - Search George Tsoukalas home page. He has all kinds of info on making
all things archery. Also look at bowsite/Leatherwall, Good info there also.

Have Fun ,  Densil

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:01 pm »
George's site is posted at the top of the "How To" page.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:10:26 am »
Making bamboo arrows is easy but time consuming.  The trade off is that they last a long time, unless lost obviously, or in my case shot broadside with bunny blunts.

I've never harvested the stuff raw.  Dosen't grow around me.  I make a trip to the garden center at Walmart and grab a pack of 12 for $3.00 ($1.50 in the off season).

I don't alwayse spine weight my arrows because then youd get even less out of the bag.  There will be a few that are way to heavy way to skinny and or dry rot/worms.  Discard the dry rot.  Put the heavy ones in the garden and the light ones MIGHT be ok to shoot.

1) Straighten them with a heat gun.  I start at the nodes because if the shaft is goig to break it's usualy at a node and I don't want to get alot of time and energy into a shaft that will break.  Actualy give it a good flex before even starting.  This is just a rough prestraightening.

2) Cut the section that you need out.  I like to start a little long.  If the shaft is fat I cut fro mthe skinny end, and vice versa say 32" OR I'll use a spining tool and measure out the section I want.

3) straighten again between nodes.  Use a heat gun to warm the shaft till it starts to give when flexed.  Don't discolor the material or your are hardening it. 
I press the bowed side against a gently curved piece of wood.  You could use a candle or alchohol burner for this but the heat is too focused I find.

4) Grind or sand the nodes down.  I don't go nuts here and make it perfect.  Some of the Japaneese arrow makers make them like dowel shafts.  I don't go that far.  I just sand the node so it transistions as it comes across the arrow pass.  Sand the nodes with 100 grit paper and finner to get the coarse marks out.

5) Tips and nocks can be self or glue on.  If you go glue on you'll save time but getting bamboo to cut cleanly in that little pencil sharpener thing is a pain.  Start by sanding a taper first then it cleans up nicely.  I do that for my tips that will recieve glue on field points.  I glue them on with thick super glue and let that dry.

6) I fletch the shaft (after trimming it if it needs it) at this point.  Turns out it's easy to soak the feathers in warm water and peel them.  I just hand fletch and lash them down.  Takes time but they stay.  I leave the feather full height for now.  Then I wrap an area 3/8" back from the end with the same heavy coat thread I wrapped the arrows on with.  Coat all the threads and wraps in TB3 and let it dry.

7) I sink a hack saw blade to about 1/16" from the but wrapps and making sure to align the cock feather.  Then follow it with a carbide blade that is round in profile.  It was made for cutting tile but it does a great job.  Us a little sand paper to clean it up and finish shaping it so you get a goo d snap on your string like the plastic glue on ones.

8) Then I use my handy feather burner and burn all my fletchings to shape at once.  It's nice and fast.

What takes the most time is the straightening and fletching
If you take your time and spine them you'll have a grreat shaft that will take a beating so If you aren't prone to loosing them it's worth it.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 01:20:05 pm »
Still does anyone know of a place I can get a play by play of making good bamboo arrows?

Check out my tutorial HERE. :)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 09:56:44 am »
  Nothing wrong with switch cane. And ever though your rocks are harded that others rock and won't get as sharp to work. I'VE BROKEN MY SHARE. I'm sure on here someone will trade or sell you some knapple rock. I use to use old glass ,checked every old dump I could find. Glass is perfect to learn on. I'VE EVEN SHOT 2 BUCKS WIT GLASS POINTS. The old glass is better temper different than glass now. And most thicker 1/4 inch is perfect for arrow heads to fit on arrows.And it's a lot easyer to work than the rock your useing
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 01:00:14 am »
Cut some of those big cane poles as Atl-Atl darts... Trade them for arrow shafts.  Problem solved.