Author Topic: Recurve for bamboo backed hick  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Simmental

Recurve for bamboo backed hick
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:51:48 am »
I am starting to put together the materials and information to begin my second bow. I want to build a bamboo backed hickory with recurved tips and I am trying to figure out if I need to curve the tips before or after I add the backing? I also am not sure if I need to tiller before the backing is added? It seems to me that it would just give me an inaccurate reading on the finished tiller.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Recurve for bamboo backed hick
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:25:03 am »
You will have to bend the tips on the core first before glueup. Get the core to at least floor tiller stage so you don't have too much mass to try to bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Recurve for bamboo backed hick
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »
You don't have to pre-bend the core first, and later glue on the backing. It's the bamboo that will hold the recurve. As long as the hickory is thin enough to bend the radius without lifting a splinter, you're good to go. The bamboo will add quite some drawweight, so you can make the core thinner than you might think. If you glue up two lams of hickory and one bamboo, the bow will hold the recurves even better. With only only core of hickory, you'll loose some of the curve due to spring back. In those cases where severe spingback is to be expected, pre-bending the tips first (with steam for instance) is a good way to go, but laminating a pre-bend tip is more risky in my opinion.

As a side note - hickory is really good in tension. It does not need a backing in many cases. Only if the grain is really poor, a backing of bamboo is good. In some other occasions it can even overpower the hickory belly, creating more set than we desire.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286