Author Topic: bandsaws  (Read 3805 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: bandsaws
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »
High quality blades can make a big difference with really hard wood like hickory.  I use a Jet 14" with the best blades I can afford.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 12:50:34 am »
there are some awesome fancy blades I CAN't afford.  I use the general woodcraft blades but I use a 1/2" Resaw blade with an agressive tooth angle and raker.  I think it's skip tooth.  Tell them you are resawing hard woods.  If you take care of it and don't do dumb stuff it will last a long time.  Store brand.

Offline sound maker

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 06:05:39 am »
ipe shouldn't be cut on a bandsaw right? should be cut on table saw or by hand saw. trying to get a diamond blade for the table saw or something there otherwise da hand saw will be worn out by the time I get done with my pieces.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Grunt

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:14 am »
Timberwolf makes good blades. Just tell them how many inches around and they can make it up for you. I use 144" x 3/8  3 tpi for most work. I have an old Yates-American 20" and the saw is on it's second 2hp motor.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 09:52:41 am »
I use a 14in Delta 93.5 3pi blade. I think my saw is the bottom end of what should be bought. With sharp blades it works great. I went with this one because I put it on wheels so it can be moved outdoors during use. I built two bows without a saw and was shocked at how much easier it is with the bandsaw.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!