Author Topic: bandsaws  (Read 3804 times)

Offline trad bow

bandsaws
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:35:13 pm »
What is the best size bandsaw for reducing wood to near bow working size?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: bandsaws
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:51:18 pm »
The biggest you can afford and have room for.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:00 pm »
Just be careful and keep it lubricated. I've seen what can happen to a body should the saw be kept poorly maintained and break in motion.
It can snap out of there like a rattlesnake on crack.

I don't use them for my bows, but I know it severely cuts down on time spent roughing them out.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:06:29 pm »
I have been researching them for the last several months. I watched Craigs List for a few months, but never found what I was looking for. I've heard people that have had success with some of the 12" saws, but I decided to get one a little bigger since most of the bow wood you work with is pretty hard stuff. I settled on the Grizzly 1hp that is on sale right now for $100 off. I just got it in last week and will put it all together this weekend.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:19:32 pm »
Sweet post pics o the new bear...love my griz
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:31:46 pm »
If you can afford it, a 14" with 1hp or greater motor would be great.  I use an old 12" craftsman, and it is fine for most staves, but with less than 1hp, it is really limited on thickness it goes through easily.  I would not recommend anything smaller than 12" though.

Mike

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:34:39 pm »
I use a 12" 1hp Craigslist Craftsman saw and it does everything I ask of it.  But, I would jump at the chance of getting a bigger one.  More power argh argh argh  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:55:48 am »
I have a 14" Grizzly and wish I would have had the change to buy a 17" monster. Reducing 1/4's is tough on a 14", even going slow as a turtle. Get a monster if you have cash and space for such.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline trad bow

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:16:25 am »
Thanks for the help guys. I will probably go with at least a 17".

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 04:16:34 am »
That is what i have 17" 2hp...love it!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:21:40 am »
I've got a 2hp saw and it works great - I used to use a 3/4 hp....never again!

Offline Nifty

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 11:25:40 am »
I've got a craigslist special "Buffalo" 14 inch 3/4hp saw, 1984 model. It's as old as I am. Paid $100 for it. I replaced the guide bearings and put a brand new 3TPI blade on it, and it works... but it could be much better. Big chunks of hickory really bog it down.

I am very lucky to be an electrician, and as soon as I can salvage a bigger motor for it I plan to replace the motor with something a little more powerful, hopefully 1.5 hp or so. Should make it a brand new monster...
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:24 pm »
Cruised Craigslist for about a year looking.
Pretty much settled on the idea that I would have to just bite the bullet the buy a new saw.
The Grizzly 14" was my choice...

But then, before I could execute on the Grizzly, I ran across a Jet 18", with a 1-3/4 horse motor on Craigslist, not five miles from mi casa.
It was dang near new!
Picked it up for 40 cents on the dollar...

If you have the time, be patient and keep looking, Asesome Used Saws Are Out There!!
If you have the funds and you're done being patient, buy new!
Either way, go as big as you can afford; in Wheel Size and Motor Horse Power.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »
I have the Jet with the riser block extension.  I've milled small logs in that thing and it keeps on cooking.  Get the right blade and make the good jigs.  Torquing a blade will break it which can sip around and brak other things.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »
I have a 14" ridgid and I just broke the tilt wedge. Garbage cast iron!!!!!!!!!!!! The saw is ok but I agree with all the guys that say save your money and buy a big one. Nothing worse than fighting your bandsaw with a log on it!