Author Topic: need catfish bait ideas  (Read 19370 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: need catfish bait ideas
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 08:15:14 pm »
Thanks for all the get well wishes.  Thankfully it wasn't anything serious.  Sunday morning it started as a bug bite.  By Sunday night it was a red welt 4" across with a big blister center.  The Dr. said it was some kind of bacterial infection probably from a bug bite.  This is the second time I have had this happen to me while at work.  I guess there is some kind of bug there that has the bacteria on it. 

As far as the catfishing, it was lousy.  Nothing was biting.  I caught 4 small ones over 4 days  :(   I tried all sorts of different bait and the only thing I could get any bites on were hotdog chunks soaked in cherry koolaid.  I was using my little 30" mini pole and some corn kernels to catch some bluegills off the dock.  A 3-4 lb catfish ate the corn and took off.  I had to grab the line with my hand and try to land it.  I got it to the surface of the water and then it straightened the small hook.  That was the best action I had all week.  I did enjoy sitting on the dock and working on some hunting arrows.  Thanks for all the bait ideas.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:02:17 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:54 pm »
Glad your well and got to go fishing even if it wasn't the best fishing.  Welcome home, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:48 am »
Clint,

I'm so glad it wasn't MRSA and I'm glad you are well again.  Sorry to hear the fishing was ducky... Duck duck...

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2012, 03:38:38 am »

Those are all great bait, especially the shrimp and squid.  I used all of them when I was a kid.  Found out down here the stinkier the bait the better.  Used to use liver in a piece of nylon stocking, or even Ivory soap works.  Some catfish, you can catch with just the bait and no hook, just reel them in slowly and net, them . ;)
Like catching blue claw crabs.  Used to use traps, but found using a net, and reeling them in slowly,I could fill up a five gallon bucket in an hour. ;)

Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »
  I had a friend whos' dad was always catching turtles and always used and said turtle live ,hearts were the best for chanle cats. When we were in our teens I had 2 cousins that caught and sold turtle meat to restrants for a few years. I had then start collecting the hearts,livers since they fished with use anyways. We always had quart jars full in the frezzer.
  The old guy was'nt lieing we've caught 100's and 100's of cats off the hearts and livers. In those years.  We once went to a cat fish turment in some big pounds. It was hot mid JUNEA day the 3 of use caught 41 CATS 3 over 10 pounds. 1 GUY CAUGHT A ELL. THEY BY LENTH. NO ONE ELSE CAUGHT A FISH. I think he knew the owner I've never heard of that and hav'nt since.
  We were perty pissed. I sold our all most finished quart and a full one we had in the cooler to the guy next to us for $35.00. We spent the evening in the air condishing of a bar down the road.
  Do'nt know how the guy did that bought us out did but he was happy when we left.
  IT STAYS ON REALLY WELL. We also use fresh and rotted beef liver alot both works well and stays on really good also. As well as rotten deer stake. It's not bad either.
  But I say turtle hearts nad livers are by far the best cat fish bait I've ever used.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »
Glad your well and got to go fishing even if it wasn't the best fishing.  Welcome home, dpg

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. Glad to hear you're better, Clint.
Doug from Missouri