Author Topic: Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster  (Read 3918 times)

Offline John D

Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:02:30 pm »
Hello to everybody. 
I’ve been lurking around PA since last summer soaking in all that I can and posting an occasional question.  I’ve enjoyed archery since I was a boy, but built my first bow (below, left: 46” maple, pyramid board bow pulling 8# at 19” with one heck of a hinge in the upper limb) early last summer at the request of my oldest daughter (age 5 then). 

She wanted a bow like the characters in the Chronicles of Narnia books we were reading.  Then I had to build one for me (above, left), and one for a friend’s grandkids (below, bottom), and another for my daughter (above, right), etc. and now I can blame my fascination with bow-building on my little girl!  We have fun shooting in the backyard or garage before bed and now my wife is suggesting I build a couple for our 3 year old twins (I’m thinking 1 arrow each with soft, blunted points). 

Below are photos of my 6th bow.  Hickory board bow, 22lbs @ 22", 50-1/4" ttt, 48-1/2 " ntn, 1-5/8" wide to mid-limb taper to 11/16” at tip.  I roughly scaled down from the 66” hickory bow described on pg. 69 of TBB-V1.  It’s backed with white silk for safety because I built it for my co-worker’s 8 year-old daughter (Hunger Games fan).  The tips have a think laminate of wenge and I died and finished a piece veg-tanned leather for the grip.  I covered the ends of the backing with purple silk tread, but am second guessing because it makes stringing awkward.

I echo many comments about the quality and civility of you folks on this site.  As somebody learning, I have been very grateful to get good advice without having to sort through virtual cat-fights; even the grudge matches seem to be in good humor.  I’m glad to be able to go to a place where people want to build bows and can generally check ego at the door.    I hope you like this bow and I’m looking forward to building more. 

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:17:38 pm »
Welcome and nice bows.  Those little ones are a pain to tiller.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.  I really like that handle wrap.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »
Welcome!!

Looks like you have some shooters there....  nice job :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:42:28 pm »
Great stuff, those liitle bows can be surprisingly fast. Fiddly to tiller well tho'
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:12:58 pm »
Nice job, John. That purple thread really adds some pizzazz to that bow! It's glad to to have you and looking forward to seeing more of your work. Looks like you got a knack for it!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:02 pm »
Awesome bows!!! Welcome to PA.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:55 pm »
Love to see dads and kids and bows.  Always makes me smile.  Very nice Dad!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:26 pm »
Good grief, another mutual admiration society posting.  Yeah, yeah, all you need is love...and a dog.   >:D

The picture of you and your daughter drawing your bows is priceless!  Atta boy, make some great memories with her...the teen years are coming!  Your days as superhero are limited. 

Your tillering skills took a quantum leap with that last bow.  Great work, can't wait to see more from you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:33 am »
Welcome.  You can clearly see your tillering skill improve with each bow.  Not often we get to see the early bows from a new bowyer all together like that.  Very nice work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 01:44:13 am »
Welcome!!! Its a great time shooting with the kids...a.d what better excuse to make bows, keep em coming  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 06:07:25 am »
Welcome to PA.good work , they can be a lot of trouble,nice job on that one.She should love that. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 09:46:55 am »
Welcome to P.A.   You are starting them good. '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:11 am »
kid's bows are tough to tiller.  That is nice work!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline John D

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »
Thanks for looking everybody, and thanks for the encouragement.  I hope this means that as I build more adult-sized bows, the tillering process will become easier (can I make that mental leap?) I've got a couple more kids bows in the works from my friend; he wants to arm the rest of his grandchildren.

One thing on my mind is that I built this bow in Boise (anybody close by?) and then it moved with my friend to Phoenix last week; dry climate to drier climate (it had to be phoenix, right).  I put 120 arrows through it and it was behaving nicely.  Finished with polyurathane and I suggested they keep it inside (unstrung) unless they're shooting.  Any thoughts regarding the humidity change? Being hickory backed with silk, do you think odds are in its favor?

Offline okie64

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 06:53:41 pm »
Very nice bows,especially that last one, you did a great job on that grip and stitching. You would think kids bows would be easier to tiller because, well, theyre kids bows right? Not the case at all( for me anyways). Yeah you will have no problem tillering out a longer adult bow, it should be pretty easy for ya after workin with those shorties. As for the climate and humidity change your hickory bow should be alright, if any wood can withstand a desert climate it would be hickory.