Author Topic: Osage boards  (Read 4908 times)

Offline RobWiden

Osage boards
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:51:06 am »
   I found a couple osage orange boards today. This is really rare stuff in my neck of the woods and I've never worked with it before. If I decide to buy one it will cost about $130, so I want to get all I can out of it. So the question is, if I put a hickory backing on it, can I get away with quite a bit of grain run-out? If I try to follow a ring I'll only get 1 or 2 bows out of it but if I can get away with violating rings, I think I could get 5 or 6 bows.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Osage boards
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:54:22 am »
You always want straight grain, in any and every bow. With a backed bow, you can get away with a few grain run offs, but ideally you still want straight grain. There's no set number of grain run offs that is still acceptable with a decent backing. But there is a point where the osage will say: "to hell with you, I'm too ill grained to stay in one piece!"
A picture of the specific board you have in mind would help. 25 bucks a bow is still a LOT of money in my book. I wouldn't pay that for second choice wood any time!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 10:59:41 am »
Bamboo back it instead of using hickory would be my suggestion. My finest shooting bows are all bamboo backed osage.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:05:15 pm »
    Thanks, guys. No pics, the boards are a 4 hr drive away. Dark Soul you've got me having second thoughts even though good hardwoods are really rare in this part of the continent. I'll be back there on the weekend and take another look. They are about 6 ft long so maybe I could avoid the worst runoff. Eric, I was thinking of hickory because I've never used bamboo and didn't want to do too much experimenting on an expensive wood that's an experiment itself.
    They also have a couple jatoba boards with much nicer grain. I could always go that way - another experiment.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »
Hey, Rob. I got an osage board a month or so ago with questionable grain. I just ripped a piece off and intend to back it with hickory. I also have some bamboo I am going to try. I'm crossing my fingers. I got mine a little cheaper than what you are being asked to pay, though. Good luck if you decide to try it.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:26:02 am »
I have made some nice jatoba backed with hickory. good combo

MtDent

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 12:36:31 am »
Wow that's expensive. I got a big ol' Osage for 15 bucks but then again, its relatively common around here. I have some bad run offs too.. its also quartersawn with some nasty saw marks on what will be the back/belly. I've been working with my hand plane just to get the marks off. However, I don't think my boo will be wide enough, long enough or ever be flat enough. Hopefully I can figure something out

Offline Woodbender

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 12:36:47 am »
That seems pricey for a wood thats biggest use is fence posts and firewood. Other than bows of course. I have a bunch of boards that are not well grained too. I've wondered if a tri lam bow could make use of poorer grained wood if you stacked the boards opposite each other to compensate for the runoff.

Try the bamboo it's not that tricky to work with and makes a beautiful and nice shooting bow.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 07:53:36 am »
I have a bunch of boards that are not well grained too. I've wondered if a tri lam bow could make use of poorer grained wood if you stacked the boards opposite each other to compensate for the runoff.
Yes, it would :) I also use the poorer grained laminations in cores. Don't skimp on the backing (it must be perfectly grained wood - or bamboo for that matter), but the core can easily be a little less than perfect. Especially when the belly lamination is again perfectly grained. I also have some very nicely grained ipé with some drying checks in them. I don't trust it for bellies, but I'll use it as a core, combined with a good ipé belly.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:06 pm »
    Well, I don't seem to be getting much encouragement to try this. I guess I'll pick up a jatoba board and then spend more time dithering about the osage. I will certainly do some measuring to see if I could get away from the worst grain and have a chance for at least a couple nice bows. Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »
    Well, I took my trusty tape along and decided to try it after all. The board only cost $100 (plus tax)and I found a way to get away from the funkiest grain.<a href="http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/1025VS/?ac<a href="http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/1025VS/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN0143

tion=view&amp;current=DSCN0143
    I got 6 quarter sawn blanks and 1 plain sawn.
    While I was there I got a hickory board for backing strips and a jatoba board. This sure is an expensive hobby at times, but it's no worse than golf or skiing, I suppose. Since I don't do either of those, look at all the money I'm saving.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »
    Didn't mean to post the whole file. Just the first three pictures.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 04:01:58 pm »
http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/1025VS/osage%20board%202012/
    OK I got the first one done. It's certainly not perfect, but it's staying together so far. 66" ttt, 65" ntn,
55# @ 27". I started with 1 3/4" glued in reflex and ended with 1/4" string follow, which is something I really don't like in a bow, but I guess I can live with it. Before anyone says it's stiff in the handle, I know, I like them that way. I suppose I'll wrap the handle, but what you see is basically what you get. I'm fond of plain Janes.    Rob

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:05:05 pm »
I've seen osage boards in my local woodcrafters store, but after further investigation, these were some weird south american species of osage? So I would like to try them, but I don't know if the stuff would differ from the local stuff everybody is used to using.

EDIT: I don't think it's stiff in the handle all, I would say it is absolutely perfect!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 06:44:25 pm »
Looks good, Rob. I am working on one very similar to it. Only have it floor tillered so far. My grain looks about the same as yours, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA