Author Topic: A lost doe and a found buck  (Read 1541 times)

Offline osage outlaw

A lost doe and a found buck
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:35:18 pm »
Yesterday morning I helped my Dad put up a new ladderstand on the edge of a field.  He has been seeing a nice buck walk up the tree line almost every night.  I have a stand on the corner of the same field.  We both went out yesterday evening at the same time.  He was using a 20 some year old modern bow and I had an osage bow.  My stand is tucked away in a big multi-trunk osage tree.  I had a doe walk right in front of my at 5 yards.  I don't remember drawing back or shooting.  All I remember is seeing the arrow hit her.  It looked like a good shot, maybe just a little forward.  I got good penetration, but not a pass through.  She took off on a flat out sprint.  I stayed in the stand hoping my Dad would get a shot at something.  Maybe 20 minutes later a nice buck came out in front of him and he shot it.  I watched it run across the field and then heard it drop.  It made the loudest thud sound when it fell.  We gathered some help and some flashlights and went to find his buck.  My niece has been dying to trail a deer.  She got a new blood light a couple of weeks ago and has been waiting to try it out.  Since we new it was down we let her take the lead.  She led us right to it.  It was a buck that he got a trail camera picture of earlier this season.  The right beam was broke off in velvet and his right ear was ripped in half.  We drug it back to the field and then went looking for my doe.  It had been several hours since I hit her.  Our junior tracker found the first blood right where the doe was standing when I shot her.  We followed a decent trail for a long time.  There were times where we were walking at a normal pace following easy sign.  Then things started getting difficult.  She would stop and go back her same trail and then split off a different direction.  She criss crossed her own trail several times.  This was the strangest blood trail we have ever seen.  We kept walking in circles.  Most of our help went home so it was just me and my Dad.  We stayed out until 1:00 am last night looking.  We finally unwound all her trails and then the blood just stopped.  We went out today and didn't find anything.  I'm not sure what happened.  I was very dissapointed, but happy for my Dad.  It would have been awesome to get a double.  We discussed leaving my doe alone until morning, but we are loaded with coyotes right now.  We figured there wouldn't be anything left of her if we did. 

Here is my arrow.  It ended up working its way through her.  My trade point held up good and is still held firm to the bamboo shaft.  Maybe a little heat straightening and its good as new.

My Dad and my niece with his buck

On the hoof

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Stringman

Re: A lost doe and a found buck
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »
Sorry bout ur loss buddy, but happy for ur dad!

Scott

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »
One of the worst things is a lost animal but it will happen if you hunt long enough.

Your dad had to be extremely happy with that buck....  that's a dandy old boy!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:27:57 pm »
That's too bad Clint, I would have bet money on a recovery based on that arrow.  Bet your Dad had a great hunt though.  Good deal getting the young lady involved.  My kids loved blood trailing too.

Good luck next time.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »
Man Clint, I feel for you! Similar first time loss myself. Keep your spirits up and go get it done!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:14:21 pm »
That's tough, Clint. Maybe she left that wierd trail because yotes were already after her? Congratulations to your Dad and little Tracker.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:31 am »
 Bummer Clint,  if you bow hunt long enough it happens, even on good hits. I wonder if Eddie is right and the yotes were already on her.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 02:16:44 am »
Clint, I feel for you.  Nothing puts a knot in my stomach like not finding a hit animal.  It happens though.  When you do all you can as far as tracking, there's nothing left to do.  We've all been there.

Congrats to your dad on a dandy of a buck.

And, you need to build you niece a bow, if you haven't done so already.  She has woodman (woman) written all over her.  She'll be hosting her own Outdoor Channel show in a few years.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 05:56:03 am »
Sorry about your doe,sometimes they are tought to find,hope she make it.Congrats to your dad,very nice buck.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good