Author Topic: Ash Design  (Read 1860 times)

MtDent

Ash Design
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:40 pm »
I found what I believe to be an ash tree in my front yard. It had split and half of it is falling off, held up by vines. I'm no arborist so I had to rely on an application on my phone to ID it...haha. But I was wondering what you guys think about it in terms of usability, bow design, etc. I'll post pictures of the tree/leaves tomorrow when it gets light out. Let me know your ideas!

Also, there's a small specialty woodworking showroom/store near my house that also has some "exotic" woods. They don't specifically sell lumber but they'll sell me a 1x3 if I ask em. What kind of wood do you do think I should get and use? They probably have Osage, ash, hickory, etc. Its going to be expensive so I want to get this right. I appreciate any suggestions

Corey

Offline bubby

Re: Ash Design
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:17 pm »
go with hickory or white oak, you should get 3-4 bows for around $25-30, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

MtDent

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:43:51 am »
This place likes to charge some good prices... And by that it's pretty expensive. Well, reasonably expensive. My dad had to buy a 1x1 ish 6' long piece of teak for a project and paid 40 bucks for it from there. Hickory and white oak will do it though?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:58:06 am »
yep, hickory is a great bow wood and so is white oak, try and get quartersawn, makes it even better
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:35:41 am »
Teak is incredibly expensive. At least, if you have a good quality teak and not a piece from a plantation. Real Teak can easily be four times as expensive as oak/ash. So don't let that price your father paid scare you off.

Make sure they don't order wood for you, by which they may force you to buy the piece before you even see it. You must see the wood first, before you buy it. You need to see the grain and rings; don't let them choose for you.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

MtDent

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:22:25 am »
The guy didn't have any good hickory but he gave me a big piece of quartersawn Osage that I could probably get two working boards out of for 15 bucks. It's an inch thick and I could either cut out one 2.5" board or get two 1.25" boards out of it. They would be at least 6 feet long.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:49:12 am »
highly recommend backing a osage board with grain violations. I have had bad luck with quartersawn osage with no backing. 1.25 would be fine with some boo or hickory on the back.

MtDent

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:13:20 pm »
Well there is TONS of bamboo around here as we all know how quickly that stuff spreads. When would be the best time to back it? Before or after the tillering process?

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 03:43:40 pm »
I would not bend it at all before the back is on. I have never processed raw bamboo and I am sure someone else will chime in to tell you how( I would like to know myself!)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »
Boo backed 'sage has a bad reputation of shooting faaaaaast!  I suggest you build the bow, but do not shoot it.  Just send it to me to dispose of and I will send you one of my pieces of crap selfbows in exchange!    >:D

Good luck with the project!  Post pics and questions as you get on with it, ok?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

MtDent

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 07:53:49 pm »
Well I'm gunna try and get two boards out of this wood so if you have something to trade....  >:D there's also too much bamboo for me to handle :P

Offline Dclarke

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:28:30 pm »
Just went to Lowes this weekend and picked up a red oak board for $12.00
1 x 3 x 6 foot long
plan on making a sinew backed bow with that as it does have some grain violation

MtDent

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 11:28:02 pm »
Dang, dude. 12 bucks? It better be darn good wood then. I think I got two red oak 1x3x6's for about that much at Home Depot. Both had pretty bad grain though.. one had close enough to a knot right in the middle to be useless and the other has a huge swirl on one limb with run offs going down the side. Best of luck to you, sir!