Author Topic: Black locust flat bow...for fathers day ...more pics added  (Read 12958 times)

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
        Just put the finishing touches on this black locust flat bow that I made for my dad. Ole pops is getting up there in age and the goal was to make a smooth shooter but still be an effective hunting bow.  I decided to try my luck at bl, it was really tight ringed and challenged my draw knife skills. Other than being tight ringed it was very nice wood to work with. The bow is slightly reflexed out of the fades and deflexed the last third. Most of the deflex was natural and took very little set. It finished out 45#@26 “ and is 62” tip to tip. When I got the bow tillered I took my dad to shoot it to make sure he liked the draw weight and grip. He is very particular when it comes to choosing a weapon to hunt with. He immediately like the weight and grip and hit pretty darn good with it. After his approval I asked how he would like it finished…skins?…tips?….stain?…etc. His response was to finish  it like no other bow I’ve done before. This really got my wheels spinning because I wanted to fulfill his request . I waited about two weeks and then told a little fib… I fabricated a story and the end result was a broken bow. He bought it hook, line and sinker. After some thought this is what I came up with. I made a bow back in March with turkey feather backing.I decided to do some unique decorating using turkey and pheasant feathers with some bands of  peacock herl. The tips are brazialian rosewood, the string is B50 with black beaver silencers, and its finished with tru-oil. It’s tradition to take my dad to a 3D shoot for fathers day. I plan to give him the bow then. He is going to be excited to see the bow wasn’t broke after all! I will post more pictures after the shoot.

I named the bow “the mentor” because my dad taught me a lot about hunting, fishing, the outdoors, but most of all he taught me to be a good father!!!

Jon
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:43:30 pm by straightarrow »

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Re: Black locust flat bow...for fathers day. Finished pics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »
Here is a few more

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »
Thats beautiful!!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:13:01 pm »
Very cool!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:31:54 pm »
Ol pops in gonna dig it Im sure of that. Good job John.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:29:18 pm »
Thats one awesome bow Jon! I bet your Dad is gonna love it. Those full draw pics are sweet too!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:42:18 pm »
Very nice piece of work. Ole Dad should be real proud of that. Hope he gets a big un this year with it!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:47:04 pm »
Im gonna start sending my bows over to your shop for the finishing work....that turned out purtty.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:17:55 am »
That is awesome all around.  I love what your doing with feathers and fathers.  You got him convinced it was broke, just so you could get him all ruffled again over this bow.  Sounds like some **** I would pull.   Well done straight arrow.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:09:31 am »
Awesome job, the feathers are unique and very cool.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:31 am »
That is a fine looking bow!  I would have never thought about using feathers... that's cool.  Great looking photos!  where is that waterfall?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »
Beautiful bow,he should love that,I do and also the area the pictures were taken is awesome.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »
great looking bow, Dad should be happy. love the feathers.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:39:59 pm »
You can call me dad anytime :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »
I've never seen that before.  Nicely done sir. Josh