Author Topic: linen strings  (Read 4791 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: linen strings
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 06:06:05 am »
Badger maybe my error is in the use of the nomenclature.  I am not sure about a strand versus a bundle versus a ply.  I figured I had a 45 # breaking strength of a single "bundle" (the bundle being the 8 strand twine wound directly off the roll), which would require 7-8 of those bundles to meet a 6 times 65# draw weight bowstring.   

What comes off a roll, is called a strand. If you calculate you need twelve strands to make a safe string, you can take either two bundles of six strands, and twist those into a two ply string. Or you can take three bundles and twist those into a string with three plies.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 03:54:01 pm »
Thanks for Shedding some light on the discussion DarkSoul.  Obviously, I was confused about what a bundle vs a strand was.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 07:42:06 pm »
If you use the double flemish loop they will normally break below the area where the loop is woven in, right in the middle of the string some place. I have never had one break at the nock on the double flemish loops.

I have never once had a loop break on me of any string material. I think I might make my loops differently than other people, but the end result is the same I would think.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair